Author Topic: How to view log file  (Read 4633 times)

Firstc520

How to view log file
« on: January 23, 2004, 05:39:20 AM »
OK i scanned my pc and it came up with a false positive and for kicks i wanted to see if it logged the scan.  I can't seem to find where it logged the scan at though.  I checked the  Avast Log Viewer and  didn't see where it might have put it.

Please help  me out.  Thanks

-First_c-

Culpeper

Re:How to view log file
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 05:46:51 AM »
try looking in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\report

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 07:04:19 AM »
One other way, if your timing's right -- if you've just run a scan and haven't yet closed the summary report and returned to the main ("Status") view, there's a link at the bottom of the summary that you can click on to view the full report.  What "full" includes depends, of course, on how you've set your Report setting options.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 08:13:26 AM »
I think generation of scan reports is not turned on by default. It has to be enabled first. To do this, start avast, go to the menu (e.g. by right-clicking almost anywhere on the panel), select Settings and go to the Report page.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Firstc520

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 03:41:56 PM »
That was it.  By default it didn't turn on logging.  Thanks for the help, i like to know what a program scans and finds, if anything.....that way i can back track if i can't deal w/ it right away.

Thanks for the help everyone.

First_c

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 08:12:18 PM »
That was it.  By default it didn't turn on logging.  Thanks for the help, i like to know what a program scans and finds, if anything.....that way i can back track if i can't deal w/ it right away.

Thanks for the help everyone.

First_c

Just one last (maybe  ;) ) comment/reminder - don't confuse logs with reports, they're totally different and serve different purposes.  There's been several threads going about that, but I'll try to briefly recap:

Reports are essentially the results of a-v activity, whether a disk scan or the resident providers, and indicate what was checked and what, if anything, turned up.

The logs are more geared to problems within avast itself, or within your system, not (usually, anyway) related to virus activity -- inability to open or copy necessary files, for instance.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent