Author Topic: Notifications  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Notifications
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »
Can I make Avast notify me when something is a threat or is quarantined ?
UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Notifications
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:33:04 PM »
It should already do so, in the form of Alerts/Notifications.  Avast UI > Protection > Core Shields > Settings (cog icon).

There used to be settings for various shields on what Actions to take and an order (now they all appear as one), I personally don't want any autonomous Action so I set all to Ask.

Is there any area that you d=feel that this isn't happening ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 10:18:00 PM »
It should already do so, in the form of Alerts/Notifications.  Avast UI > Protection > Core Shields > Settings (cog icon).

There used to be settings for various shields on what Actions to take and an order (now they all appear as one), I personally don't want any autonomous Action so I set all to Ask.

Is there any area that you d=feel that this isn't happening ?

Yes David, Avast has consistently quarantined a number of items and I was not given a notification.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:17 PM »
<snip quote>
Yes David, Avast has consistently quarantined a number of items and I was not given a notification.

One thing I didn't think to ask, have you got Avast Silent Mode enabled ?

If not have you checked your settings and ensure they are Set to Ask or they will ultimately be sent to the chest ?
But as far as I'm aware you should still have gotten notification, but that may only be in the Notification Area or a minor change in the tray icon.

If you open the virus chest and the Virus Name, Infected file name and Location should give a clue on what detected it.

You can move the mouse pointer right (until you see the 3 ... dots) on some of the detections and see the options available, you could send for analysis, or Restore (but not restore and exclude). If they are still detected it should be sent back to the chest, but I think it should alert.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 11:08:02 PM »
<snip quote>

One thing I didn't think to ask, have you got Avast Silent Mode enabled ?

If not have you checked your settings and ensure they are Set to Ask or they will ultimately be sent to the chest ?
But as far as I'm aware you should still have gotten notification, but that may only be in the Notification Area or a minor change in the tray icon.

If you open the virus chest and the Virus Name, Infected file name and Location should give a clue on what detected it.

You can move the mouse pointer right (until you see the 3 ... dots) on some of the detections and see the options available, you could send for analysis, or Restore (but not restore and exclude). If they are still detected it should be sent back to the chest, but I think it should alert.
Thank you David -
Silent mode is disabled. Tray icon is enabled to animate when scanning, but it animates ALL the time - I have disabled it now. I deleted the virus chest items - about 9 of them - several
Sandboxie items and about 4 Checkpoint Zone Alarm items (my firewall). Next time I  will see what detected them.
Will go through all the settings and keep my eye on it from now on.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 01:16:17 AM »
You're welcome.
The animation shouldn't impact actual detections, it is just letting you know it is scanning.

I would certainly set your settings to ASK, I don't like any program taking autonomous action (avast or otherwise).

You didn't say if you have silent mode enabled as that would be a prime candidate for no alerts/notifications.