Author Topic: chrome: "Managed by your organization"  (Read 1800 times)

Offline jf22

chrome: "Managed by your organization"
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
On Oct 5 I noticed that google Chrome, my main browser,  is now "Managed by your organization." This was somewhat alarming and I assumed it might be malware. After trying to find out what had changed in Chrome (unsuccessfully) and a fully system scan that did not reveal any malware, I abandoned the issue until I had more time to delve into it.

This morning I decided to see if I had the same problem with Firefox, which I essentially never use. I noticed that it, too, was now "Managed by your organization." On Firefox I was able to get more information, and learned that it is related to "importenterpriseroots", which is part of Avast security.

So my question is, is "Managed by your organization' also part of Avast security in Chrome?

I am happy to provide more information.

Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Windows 7, Avast Free Antivirus, Nord VPN, Windows free firewall, Chrome browser, google search engine.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: chrome: "Managed by your organization"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »
Not heard much about that on here recently, was a topic of interest before. See this:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233117.0

I see you are on Windows 7.
What version of Avast Free are you running?

Offline jf22

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Rocksteady--Thank you! I ran a search on this topic but somehow missed this thread from April. I am actually relieved that this is caused by Avast. I don't have a problem with Avast looking at everything. How else are they going to find the malware?

As far as your much too astute question about my Avast version, my definitions are up to date but my program is not. I wait until I stop seeing messages about update problems and then I do it. But there has seemed to be quite a few update problems in recent months--some problems get fixed but new one emerge. I should probably take the plunge but I am so dependent on my computer these days I have been hesitant to jump.

Maybe the user forum should have a place where all the successful updates are mentioned and tabulated, to give courage to those of us who are less brave  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Well, keep in mind that this is a help forum, so it's normal to see mostly problem reports here. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jf22

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »
Hi Asyn, so true! I would be happy to go to a different part of the site for good news  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »
Hi Asyn, so true! I would be happy to go to a different part of the site for good news  :)
Let's put it this way, if there were major issues for 435+ million users, the forum would get flooded with complaints. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
... I wait until I stop seeing messages about update problems and then I do it. But there has seemed to be quite a few update problems in recent months--some problems get fixed but new one emerge. I should probably take the plunge but I am so dependent on my computer these days I have been hesitant to jump.
You are not alone doing that. It is not a bad idea to look on here to see if there are any serious problems arising from a new version, particularly as there seem to be more reported issues affecting Win7 users recently.
One thing you could do for insurance, is download the offline installer for each version you install and file it away for safe keeping together with a copy of avastclear uninstaller. That way if worst happens after next version update, you can uninstall it and install the previous version (making sure automatic update is not switched on).
Asyn is right, you only usually see "complaints" and not the "compliments" on here. New version 20.8, (20.8.2429), seems fairly stable, at least on my Win10. It also fixes a load of bugs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:13:58 PM by rocksteady »

Offline strakl

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
Here's the thing. Bugs always were, always are, and always will be present. Sometimes small, sometimes major. We just have to deal with them and report them as soon as we find them.
As about your chrome managed by your organization, i have that as well but it's not bothering me because as you've said avast needs to look into everything because how else will it find the malware.