Author Topic: Need Help Please - cannot remove Avast After Trying Everything I've Found  (Read 1816 times)

Offline justinlasky

This is a long story but I could not uninstall Avast before and deleted most of it manually (I thought).  Now, I have a gigantic 136GB Avast Software folder that I cannot delete because it says I don't have permission.  However, I've run and logged in as administrator and it says the same thing that I don't have permission.  The program does not show up in the control panel at all.  Avastclear.exe just runs with a status bar but never finishes (i.e., does not work).  Can someone please help me remove this software?  It still shows up in my taskbar FYI.  I've run out of ideas on how to remove it.  Thank you for your help.

EDIT: as administrator I managed to delete the log files in the Avast folder in Program Data.  Those were what was taking up so much space and no idea why.  So now I'm back to not having a bunch of wasted space but I do still have Avast installed and I want to remove it.  Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:08:19 AM by justinlasky »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Can you try the following steps, please?
Step 1.  Download and Save Avast Uninstall Utility onto your DESKTOP, from this link: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Step 2. Restart Microsoft Windows in Safe Mode: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Restart-Windows-Safe-Mode
Step 3. (Only continue with this step if you are in safe mode ) Open/Run avastclear.exe and click on Uninstall
Once the uninstallation process is finished, please <Restart> your computer.

Offline justinlasky

Hello, I just tried it for the fourth or fifth time and it does not work.  When I run the software it just brings up the Avastclear window and shows the run/load bar in that window.  It proceeds to do nothing at that point.  What else do you think might work?

EDIT:wow, okay.  Got it to work somehow.  This time I let it stay there for a longer time with that run/load bar.  Then I didn't think it was doing anything and went to close it and it pops up with the window to select the folders.  So I uninstalled it now.  Apologies for the confusion and thanks for your help to get this done.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 12:27:58 AM by justinlasky »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hello, I just tried it for the fourth or fifth time and it does not work.  When I run the software it just brings up the Avastclear window and shows the run/load bar in that window.  It proceeds to do nothing at that point.  What else do you think might work?

EDIT:wow, okay.  Got it to work somehow.  This time I let it stay there for a longer time with that run/load bar.  Then I didn't think it was doing anything and went to close it and it pops up with the window to select the folders.  So I uninstalled it now.  Apologies for the confusion and thanks for your help to get this done.

Hi,

Thank you for updating us.