Author Topic: Avast and MS Outlook  (Read 2112 times)

Offline kos333

Avast and MS Outlook
« on: October 23, 2020, 03:31:53 PM »
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this but I need some help with the configuration of Avast with my email client.  I have been a long time user of Avast Free and MS Outlook.  Since a week (or more) ago, I started having problems with my email client (ie MS Outlook 2016) not being able to connect to the mail server to retrieve mails.

I had thought that it was some form of problem with the mail server but it took so long and I wondered what was the problem.  I was able to access my mail through webmail but not through the client.  I started doing some research and saw an article stating that the anti-virus may be the culprit.  I wasn't hopeful but I gave it a try and turned off Avast.  Lo and behold, the emails started flowing in. 

I started tinkering with the setting of Avast and was able to narrow it down to Mail Shield.  I did not want to turn off mail shield but that seemed to fix the problem of my mail client being able to access the mail server.  I tried another option of unchecking the scanning of IMAP/POP mails while leaving Mail Shield on and it seems to work as well.

I am unsure now if this is the correct setting or if there is any other correct way to do this.  I have used Avast for so long and have never encountered this until a few weeks ago. 

Can somebody help?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast and MS Outlook
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »
The Mail Shield works/protects email clients, conventional email programs such as Thunderbird (which I use). 

However, MS Outlook appears to work slightly differently. 

As such there used to be an avast Plug-in for MS Outlook, I don't know if this is still the case (as I don't use it). 

Looking at the Mail Shield settings, there is mention of MS Outlook and that it scans IMAP4 traffic, I don't know if your version of MS Outlook supports IMAP4 or or not.  If not then perhaps that is where the issue lies.
Are there any attachments on the emails your are sending/receiving ?

Something that I had to do with Thunderbird was to import the Avast Security Certificate.  Not sure if you would need to do that or how you would do this in MS Outlook.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:52:22 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kos333

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I kind of ended up fixing the problem.  I tried to disable the mail shield and started receiving emails.  Then only to find the next day, it would stop working again.  Then I found an article saying that one of the main causes of not being able to connect to the IMAP servers of google was the password renewal.  I had enabled 2 factor authentication and maybe something happened with the password.  I eventually ended up resetting all of the passwords and suddenly found the emails flowing back in.  Mail shield was not the problem apparently.  Still not sure though how the disabling of mail shield earlier allowed me to received emails....

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for taking the time to report back.

Ah computers, don't you just love them ;)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security