Author Topic: Why is Avast sucking up CPU and Memory recently?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline robin183

Why is Avast sucking up CPU and Memory recently?
« on: October 26, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
Ok, this literally started happening about 2 weeks ago so I have done the following based on answers I researched here and TO NO AVAIL!!! I am so bummed b/c this has been my go to and now it's killing my productivity. My computer is SOOOOO slow! Please see the attachment of Task Manager reading. I am shocked it's that much higher than Google even.  :-\

First some info: Running Windows 10 64bit, Free Avast Version 20.8.2432 (build 20.8.5684.602)

• Restarted my machine after cleaning all temporary files (that didn't work)
  • Restarted my machine after cleaning out temp/cache in Chrome (didn't work)
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Avast after one day went back to his CPU and Memory
  • Ran scan no viruses and haven't added any new software

Please help!  I would like to continue using it and recommending it. I got my whole family using it now and don't want to have all of us switch.  :-[  What has changed in Avast the last few weeks that is causing this issue.

Offline strakl

Re: Why is Avast sucking up CPU and Memory recently?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
Well that's odd because in the latest build of 20.8 it got fixed.
I have absolutely no idea why you would be getting this issue to be honest, because as I've already said in the latest 20.8 build this was fixed.

Offline robin183

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:13:06 PM »
I will try to run an update and restart. If it does it again, there is still something that might not be fixed. What am I missing?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
@  robin183
It certainly isn't normal.

On my system Avast only has one process in view in my task manager screen and is very low in all regards.  Firefox is normally my highest CPU& RAM user.

Do you happen to have any major programs running in the background ?
Or any other security based programs ?

You say you have tried many options:
Did you try an Avast Repair followed by a system Restart ?
I know this is a step down from an uninstall and reinstall, but it is actually looking for issues.

Having done an uninstall and reinstall, was this a clean reinstall utilising the Avast Clear program.

Clean Reinstall - 1. - Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. Make a note of the steps required or print the page.
2. - Download the latest Avast off-line installation file https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe and save to your HDD.

Follow the instructions in the link in 1.

I believe there has been at least one minor program update since then so another restart should check for and install any minor update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline robin183

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
I will try that if it ticks up again. I restarted my machine and everything looks "normal" but I will give it a day or so. If all goes up, I will follow your exact steps.

I appreciate the specifics to follow.  THANK YOU! :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
You're welcome, lets hope it isn't necessary.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline strakl

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »
I think you'll be fine now because the update should have fixed that.