Author Topic: problem with sygate  (Read 5269 times)

campfire51

problem with sygate
« on: June 13, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »
after a recent avast update, my sygate firewall keeps asking if I want to allow avast, while this is normal for the first time, normally I would just click to remember my answer ( yes)and go on, but for some reason it just keeps coming back and back again, it's becoming very annoying, sygate doesn't do this with any other program, so I think the problem may be with avast, only started doing this about 2 weeks ago, after an update

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problem with sygate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 01:45:23 PM »
Did you try to answer yes, check to remember, and then close Sygate and open it again?
I'm not sure, this problem apperead before some times... Maybe Sygate is not saving the settings.  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »
Since Sygate has been bought out and is no longer supported, perhaps it is time to consider a replacement.

Not to mention the localhost loopback issue with Sygate, not being able to identify programs using a localhost proxy (such as web shield) only the proxy. So in effect because you allow the proxy, anything using the proxy is also allowed, a potential security flaw.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:13:16 PM »
 :)  Hi Campfire :

No need to consider a replacement when there is an
     "unofficial" Sygate Support forum(s) at :

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=dc827ceaabf4c40b62820439ac6e8ebd&forumid=8 .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:07:33 PM »
The unofficial support forum doesn't provide development for sygate, nor does it close the localhost loopback issue. So users will have to be aware of it and take the necessary precautions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
No need to consider a replacement when there is an "unofficial" Sygate Support forum(s)

As long as I have known that forum, it is the most official SPF support forum there ever has been. Forum too was owned by Sygate, but now by Symantec.  :(

Not sure though since using Sygate only about 3.5 years. If there before that time was some more 'official' forum that existed. Don't think so.

Just a minor comment ;)

EDIT
Despite David R's recommendation to change a firewall, Symantec a week or 2 ago considered, I think, Sygate still acquiring new user base, so it removed their site where diff. versions were to be downloaded from the internet.

http://207.33.111.31/
Thus the above former Sygate download site is sadly now gone.

There is some agreement I think made to continue the forum(s) as a customer service, but recommend every SPF user to make a backup copy of the firewall. Never know when the forum might stop working too.
Accepting the loopback proxy issue, I see no reason why to change to some other firewall just because development is stopped.

Heh, I might even go back to kerio 2.1.5 if some bug were found in Sygate :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:22:04 PM by Jarmo P »

campfire51

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
Did you try to answer yes, check to remember, and then close Sygate and open it again?
I'm not sure, this problem appeared before some times... Maybe Sygate is not saving the settings.  ::)

I have tried it all, even removed all the applications and started over again, and still the only problem is with avast, someone at work even suggested a virus using the avast to get out, and thats why it keeps coming back,  :o

one thing I forgot to mention earlier is that every time it tries to broadcast out, it always has a different download number and  different IP address

Will try the sygate forum also

also ran virus scans from 2 different virus scanners, showing no viruses

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
one thing I forgot to mention earlier is that every time it tries to broadcast out, it always has a different download number and  different IP address

This is one of the issues with sygate on localhost loopback, what program/process is connecting if you only see web shield (ashWebSv.exe) and not the program using the localhost proxy.

If you disable the transparent proxy and manually set-up your browsers to use the web shield anything else (http traffic), won't use the proxy and be challenged by sygate for permission to connect.

How to disable transparent web shield proxy and allow only those browsers you want use it:
In avast! go to Web Shield provider, Customize..., Basic tab, blank the redirected HTTP port field (remove the 80). Now no browser can use webshield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)

Jarmo P

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 10:27:06 PM »
I have the latest Avast Home program version (just checked for program update).
I have no problem updating Avast VPS signatures automatically, have never had.
You need to allow at least avast.setup to internet. It does not use ashwebSv.exe web shield proxy. It is no web browser. So what David R tells you to do should not be needed.

Hint
Go to Sygate 'Applications', sort them by Path. Remove every Firewall rule entry for an application in that folder.
Build them from scratch, 'allowing' every avast program when prompted and also to 'remember'. Remove from them later 'server' right.

You told me you removed all the avast program rules, but are you absolutely sure. That is why sorting by path is good.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:30:56 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 12:19:26 AM »
Strange that every other firewall if you delete the entry for ashWebSv.exe with the transparent proxy enabled, it will ask permission when you try to use your browser next, but it won't be asking for your browser rather web shield.

avast.setup doesn't use the the web shield proxy, but your browser does so block the ashWebSv.exe in sygate and you can't browse if the web shield proxy is enabled (which also leaves the localhost loopback vulnerability).

I think campfire51 has enough information to make his decision on what to do.

saoir

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »
This problem arose in 2005 and users had to revert to an earlier version.

Then this happened to me last week [XP].  I uninstalled and then reinstalled Sygate and all is fine.