Author Topic: Updated to version 14.6 and core shields not working  (Read 3786 times)

Offline firstimacman

Updated to version 14.6 and core shields not working
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
Last night free Avast updated to latest and core shields not working.  Uninstalled and reinstalled but same issues.  14.6 (9745695592b3).  Mac Mojave 10.14.6

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Updated to version 14.6 and core shields not working
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:32:32 AM »
Hello,
please send us a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-Mac-Security-support-file) with your email specified. I will check what could be going on.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline lquinta

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »
Every version of Avast and AVG have stopped working for Mac users.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Every version of Avast and AVG have stopped working for Mac users.

Hello lquita, based on our data this is not true. It's not working in some cases as Ondrej already mentioned that at https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=239195.msg1566133#msg1566133
Anyway, we are definitely focusing on it more however so far all our investigation shows that for (yet) unknown reason the operating system sometimes fails to load the kernel extensions. We have reported a bug to Apple a long time ago. We'll re-investigate it again.

Thank you for your report!
Quality is also a feature.

Offline firstimacman

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:20:38 AM »
I sent in my package as requested 10 days ago but have not heard back.  Please advise.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
I sent in my package as requested 10 days ago but have not heard back.  Please advise.
Hello,

unfortunately your Mac falls to the list of machines where "MacOS fails to load kernel extension with 'no reason'"; aside from trying to restart MacOS and hoping it will start working again, there is little we can do for you.

We apologise for the issue; unfortunately on Mojave it does not even make sense to gather more diagnostic data and report it to Apple as they have told us we should recommend users to update to newer OS with similar problem. We will improve our messaging to provide more information in the future.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline David2713

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 05:49:15 AM »
I had this exact problem after upgrading my old MacBook Pro from High Sierra to Mojave (I still use it for 32-bit apps so don't want to go to Catalina). I tried every suggestion I could find by googling with no success, until I came across this: https://whitehatmac.com/macos-bugs-are-causing-kext-failures. This blog post was written by a guy who works for Malwarebytes, and the suggested workaround for a macOS bug immediately solved the problem, allowing Avast to work normally. Furthermore, the post provided a very clear explanation of the issue.

It's a little disappointing that I was only able to fix this problem by taking advice from a competing company, after Avast itself basically said "there's nothing we can do."