Author Topic: Wi Fi Inspector Keeps Asking To Scan My Network Every 2 Minutes  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Calilasseia

Wi Fi Inspector Keeps Asking To Scan My Network Every 2 Minutes
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
First, the system details:

Toshiba laptop, running Windows 7 Home premium.

Avast version 20.8.2432 (build 20.8.5684.604)

Virus definitions version:201031-0

UI Version: 1.0.564

About five days ago, Avast Wi-Fi Inspector started to pop up and issue request to scan my network. It is now doing this once every two minutes every time I start up my laptop. But my network hasn't changed. I've been using the same ISP for nearly a decade, and the same wireless router from said ISP for five years.

Even more annoyingly, the Wi-Fi Inspector keeps launching after I enabled silent mode.

This is starting to develop the aura of a denial of service attack. I can't use my computer without this annoying pop up appearing every two minutes. Even if I run a scan, and the Wi-Fi inspector says "scan done", it reappears two minutes later.

Please fix this egregious bug ASAP.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Wi Fi Inspector Keeps Asking To Scan My Network Every 2 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline danmoscovitch

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Same issue here. Wifi scanner will pop up with a fullscreen message that the last scan was complete and no issues found whenever I come back from sleep. Tried the repair and reboot option but nothing changed.

I have removed the wifi scanning module for now until a new fixed version is out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 05:18:16 PM »
You don't say what your WiFi settings were ?

If the settings were in a certain default setting, then a Repair wouldn't change that.
The Rescan Home Networks Automatically and also, the Notify me when new connections join the following network (you disable a specific network) option could possibly cause what you are experiencing.

See my attached image for my settings, I don't get these notifications.
That said you may feel that the latter is a step too far, but it is certainly a lessor one to removing the WiFi Inspector component completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security