Author Topic: Avast launches a new Firefox tab asking me to install their Safe Browser  (Read 2616 times)

Offline svelpmegod

How do I get it to stop? I do NOT want to install any of their extensions or browsers, or toolbars or whatever.

Now my Firefox keeps on opening a new tab every now and again, leading me to this page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/avast-online-security/

If this cannot be stopped, I am uninstalling this s*&# for good.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast launches a new Firefox tab asking me to install their Safe Browser
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
How do I get it to stop? I do NOT want to install any of their extensions or browsers, or toolbars or whatever.

Now my Firefox keeps on opening a new tab every now and again, leading me to this page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/avast-online-security/

If this cannot be stopped, I am uninstalling this s*&# for good.

I have never experienced this on Firefox, my default browser.  However I always do a custom install and deselect components I don't need or want.

As Asyn implies you may have enabled the avast on-line security add-on checked on your avast installation components. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
Well, what I see is all the components are checked, except for "Passwords".

So which one should I uncheck?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
All those that you don't require or want, primarily it would be the avast online security add-on.

But I can't see what you have installed, a screenshot would help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 09:58:29 AM »
Screenshot attached.

I don't know what's needed or what's not. And this launching of new Firefox tab to get me to install their Safe Browser falls under where?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
Repair Avast:
1. Avast GUI -> Settings -> Troubleshooting
2. Click on 'REPAIR APP'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 11:39:41 AM »
Screenshot attached.

I don't know what's needed or what's not. And this launching of new Firefox tab to get me to install their Safe Browser falls under where?

1. Well there doesn't appear to be anything there that would cause this to try to have you install the Avast Online Security Add-on.

Aside from doing the Avast Repair App suggested by Asyn, check to see if you happen to have that Add-on in the Firefox Add-ons.  It could be there yet not installed or an old entry (trying to update), if so delete it from the firefox add-ons.

2. I would suggest you uncheck the Cleanup component in your image, this is a paid product, but has a free component that tells you about stuff to be cleaned up whilst suggesting you upgrade to the paid version.

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 03:16:41 PM »
This is a new installation in fact. I uninstalled the old one after it was behaving fishy, like not launching when clicking the desktop icon, and showing white (blank) pop ups. The latest episode could not be repaired. So I uninstalled it and downloaded a new copy....

And then getting those Firefox new tab launches now. Which brings me here.

My trust/esteem in Avast has gone down a lot this year, after knowing they sold user data through Jumpshot, and then....the glitches to do with the pop ups earlier (I don't know how many times I repaired it already - in vain).

There are other issues - like it is now suddenly sending me a notification that I'm connected to my ethernet card, it has never done this before. But maybe that is due to this copy being new.....I have now turned off all notifications in the Settings, so we will see....

If this new Firefox browser tab comes up again, that's it. I am taking this junk off my computer for good. After so many years of using Avast.......

There are so many other antivirus software in the market, all free as well.

I think the problem is all down to Avast pushing a little too hard over the edge with regards to "marketing" its paid versions/add-ons and what not. It was working well (quietly) in the past. Now it's just getting annoying.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:44:25 PM by svelpmegod »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:07 PM »
I think the problem is all down to Avast pushing a little too hard over the edge with regards to "marketing" its paid versions/add-ons and what not. It was working well (quietly) in the past. Now it's just getting annoying.
AOS is a free tool, so I doubt it's marketing related.

Offline svelpmegod

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
AOS is a free tool, so I doubt it's marketing related.

Well, that is worse then if it's not marketing related.

It's behaving like it's malware by taking control of my browser and launching a new tab every now and then.