Author Topic: No more Ewido Anti-Spyware -> now it's AVG Anti-Spyware  (Read 21349 times)

justin1278

Re: No more Ewido Anti-Spyware -> now it's AVG Anti-Spyware
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 01:02:58 AM »
in fact I wouldn't be suprised if they took away the free version of the antispyware product.
Knocking one company while flying the banner of another isn't exactly my cup of tea.... :(
As David already mentioned, those remarks should only be made if you have facts to back them up. IMHO

Hi Bob,

You are right, I'm sorry, this is just me not liking Grisoft speaking :P :-[. My best wishes to the users of the new AVG Antispyware product.

neal62

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 01:30:20 AM »
Guess I'll keep my Ewido 4.0 program and see how long it will function. I can always find something else.  :)

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »
They're claiming Lower resource usage, has anyone seen a difference?
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »
Purely to integrate with AVG: 7.5 is the version number of the new beta which includes anti-spyware scanning.
This is what I've looking for a long time: antivirus + antispyware in the same application  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 08:22:27 PM »
Tech this isn't an integration of antivirus and anti-spyware, it is just Ewido with different clothes and some tweaking, which may be what is causing me grief, see below.

Well AVG-anti-spyware is no more on my system and I'm back to ewido 4.0, currently downloading updated signatures, quite a lot since I saved the ewido set-up file I downloaded in July.

After suffering my 4 replicable system lock-up it is history. Before any other security scan I pause standard shield and start the other scanner. I did a full scan which took about twice the time of the Quick scan, in line with what others have experienced. Once completed I closed the window using the X (top right) and tried to resume avast, no response, nothing else would work either, mouse pointer free to move and click to its hearts content but no action. No way to get Task manager open. So had to do a 5 second press of power button to try and get as tidy a shut-down as possible, followed by a power up.

I tried this again following the same sequence but this time I opened Task manager to have it ready and see what was going on. Even when you close the avgas window the avgas.exe is still running, I ended the process in task manager and tried to resume standard shield and the same problem, everything locked-up and had to do the 5 second Power button trick again, this time Windows wanted to check the disks because of the irregular shut-down.

I had suffered these lock-ups before but hadn't taken much notice of the sequence of things, so I took the time to get it recorded in case anyone else is suffering this problem.

But, for me AVGAS is history and Ewido is back until such time as I can't get updates for it and then, a-squared perhaps, we will see.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
Tech this isn't an integration of antivirus and anti-spyware, it is just Ewido with different clothes and some tweaking, which may be what is causing me grief, see below.
Now I've read and see this. Thanks for the advice.
It's a pity it's not an integrated application... I thought it would in my first reading.

I'm considering, like you and others, to wait until migrate from ewido to avgas because of so many problems...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 10:21:27 PM »
Well it gets stranger, I can replicate the same issue in ewido even after a complete uninstall, registry clean-up of avgas, I never had a single problem with Ewido before.

Another point though when closing the ewido window after a scan the ewido.exe is also closed and removed from the task manager list (as I believe it should), so that differs from avgas.exe. I also noticed that there was no 30 trial period indicated as it did before even when upgrading from the earlier version and no entry for ewido on the msconfig, startup tab.

So even though I have cleaned registry and rebooted there would appear to be some form of hidden details to indicate I've already had 30 trial of ewido 4.0, not that I'm unduly worried about that.

I have however, to disable (set to manual) the guard.exe service from starting automatically on boot and see if that makes any difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 10:38:52 PM »
Sorry David but I haven't had any problems at all.
Maybe because I haven't had Ewido on this computer ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »
It's a pity it's not an integrated application... I thought it would in my first reading.

AVG 7.5 does include an integrated anti-virus anti-spyware package.

I tried out the free beta- seemed to slow my system down, although I didn't do any objective tests. AVG haven't employed the talents of the Ewido designers, because the GUI is still pure Win98 style, with the addition of a few incongruous modern icons.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 03:50:11 AM »
Well it seems like mixed opinions on this application. I will stick with windows Defender which is free and has on access protection unlike AVGAS which losses that after 30 days
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Negeltu

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 04:16:11 AM »
It's funny, but I started having a similar lock up prob with ewido on my other system just last night.  I didn't even try to upgrade to avg-as on that system.  I also shutdown guard.exe and set it to manual start in the services panel.  I get a long freeze on that system now when I pause standard shield in avast.  I will probably uninstall and reinstall ewido tonight to see if it changes anything.

Offline toasale

• Beta Tester
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »
I betaed Ewido's last apckage and can not remember , if they and/or Avg sent news through an update of the change ;)
If you have not learned from your past mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »
Update from what I initially thought to be a problem with the AVG Anti-Spyware, that seemed to also be replicated when I reverted to the Ewido incarnation. Now I find that the problem also happens after a scan with Spybot S&D and also after a scan with AdAware. It now seems that the problem is in fact with avast 4.7.892.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=24033.0

Negeltu

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2006, 04:26:34 AM »
Yes I was leaning towards latest v. of avast being responsible.  I reinstalled ewido and it didn't fix it..  I also still get a temporary system freeze when unpausing the standard shield of avast.  hmmm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2006, 02:32:10 PM »
David, I won't even touch my ewido installation (changing to AVG antispyware) because of this.
I'll wait further tests and issues resolving to get into these hot waters...  :-\