Author Topic: bugs, bugs, bugs not funny (AvastFreeAntivirus 20.8.2432 (build 20.8.5684.602))  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Zitrus

Today I wanted to download an *.exe file. Download failed. Tried it several times - failed each time. No notification from Avast although I have set Avast to notify me in such cases!

But since I now know that often avast is behind it when problems arise, I first deactivated CyberCapture - then I suddenly get a virus warning on the tenth download attempt. The alert asked me if I want to move the file to virus chest - I wanted but Avast failed and virus chest remained empty! I had to do this manually via the interface.
When I tried to send the file to Avast i saw no outbound traffic at all.

And why do I have to enter my password twice every time I open the interface?

It would be nice if someone knows a solution to the problems described - but I suspect that only a bug-fixed version of Avast can help.

In the last few months there have been a lot of problems with Avast - whole 3 bugs today, it's getting too much. ::)
I was reasonably satisfied with Avast for a while - but now it's getting really annoying and I'll probably switch to another manufacturer! >:(
I have my contributions translated online into English
For misunderstandings please blame the translator ;-)

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
Hello Zitrus, I'm really sorry for these issues.
Related to that one: And why do I have to enter my password twice every time I open the interface? - this is fixed. Should be released next week. I know it is minor issue compared to the others. +There was a fix related to cyber cap. this week. If you can, try last beta 20.9.

regards
Petr

Offline strakl

I can confirm that cyber capture was fixed in the latest beta so you should really try it out. Although I didn't experience totally the same issue as you did I still had some issues with cyber cap which were now fixed.

Offline Zitrus

The really biggest problem is that there are no (or very very late) alerts or notifications when Avast suspects malware. I had to try ten times to download an .exe file (here: http://repository.binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/releases/latest/interlink-52.9.7606.win32.installer.exe (an E-Mail-client)) until Avast finally came up with an alert - and only when the Avast surface was open. Before that I suspected anything other as the cause for the failing download.

But since Avast has been causing problems lately, I suspected it then - and it was true.

The fact that alerts/notifications are missing or appear very late at some point has been an annoying problem for a certain time.

Alerts are the be-all and end-all of a good antivirus program.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:56:38 PM by Zitrus »

Offline Zitrus

I have to add something. I always tried the download with a browser's download manager add-on. I've now tried the download directly with the browser - and now the alert came and I was able to successfully move the file into the virus chest via the alert.
But it mustn't be that Avast only suspects malware if I use the download manager, but is then unable to display an alert and is unable, if an alert occurs on the tenth attempt, to move the malware in the chest via the alert.
By the way - just very view antivirus programs suspect malware in the download mentioned above when I send it to virustotal.com.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
By the way - just very view antivirus programs suspect malware in the download mentioned above when I send it to virustotal.com.
You can report a suspected FP (File/Website) here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0