Author Topic: Is Avast preventing me from connecting online?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline djonion

Is Avast preventing me from connecting online?
« on: November 03, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »
I have Avast Premium and am using Windows 10. I am not very knowledgeable about computers but have a problem with a sim game and wonder if someone can please help me solve a problem I am now experiencing?   I have not used my computer since late September as I was getting work done on my house. When connected everything up a few days ago, everything seemed to work fine.  Windows and one or two other updates downloaded without a problem.  When I came to download updates from Eagle Dynamics the process started off OK for about 30 seconds before all downloading came to a complete stop.  This happened on several occasions. I read on the internet that Windows 10 can stop certain downloads if it thinks there is a threat but, by going into Device Manager/Network Adapters/Properties/Power Management and then unmarking the checkbox next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power this can be prevented.  It seemed to work and stopped dropping the WiFi connection but the download didn't seem so big as I remembered should have been.

Now when I try to open the Eagle Dynamics sim game I almost immediately get the message: Timeout was reached. Click OK.  This allows me to use the application totally offline but it also stops most of it working with pretty much everything greyed out. 

There have obviously been some updates to Avast over the last month and I am wondering if it could be that Avast is preventing it working?  The reason for this is that, after another forage on the internet, I went into Windows 10 to see if I could add Eagle Dynamics to the trusted applications for the Firewall.  It didn't feature in the list at all but, what I did notice was that Avast seems to be overriding Windows 10 Firewall and Defender.  I'm not even sure what it is I am looking for to add to the list or how I can find out if it is Avast that is causing the problem?  Avast has never caused any problems with this game software before.

If anyone can help me, with very basic instructions, determine whether it is Avast, Windows 10 or Eagle Dynamics causing the problem I would be very grateful.  I am sure Windows will blame Avast and Eagle Dynamics and vise versa, but if I can at least rule out Avast or, resolve any Avast issue, then I can narrow the target down.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Is Avast preventing me from connecting online?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 01:58:53 PM »
I have Avast Premium and am using Windows 10. I am not very knowledgeable about computers but have a problem with a sim game and wonder if someone can please help me solve a problem I am now experiencing?   I have not used my computer since late September as I was getting work done on my house. When connected everything up a few days ago, everything seemed to work fine.  Windows and one or two other updates downloaded without a problem.  When I came to download updates from Eagle Dynamics the process started off OK for about 30 seconds before all downloading came to a complete stop.  This happened on several occasions. I read on the internet that Windows 10 can stop certain downloads if it thinks there is a threat but, by going into Device Manager/Network Adapters/Properties/Power Management and then unmarking the checkbox next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power this can be prevented.  It seemed to work and stopped dropping the WiFi connection but the download didn't seem so big as I remembered should have been.

Now when I try to open the Eagle Dynamics sim game I almost immediately get the message: Timeout was reached. Click OK.  This allows me to use the application totally offline but it also stops most of it working with pretty much everything greyed out. 

There have obviously been some updates to Avast over the last month and I am wondering if it could be that Avast is preventing it working?  The reason for this is that, after another forage on the internet, I went into Windows 10 to see if I could add Eagle Dynamics to the trusted applications for the Firewall.  It didn't feature in the list at all but, what I did notice was that Avast seems to be overriding Windows 10 Firewall and Defender.  I'm not even sure what it is I am looking for to add to the list or how I can find out if it is Avast that is causing the problem?  Avast has never caused any problems with this game software before.

If anyone can help me, with very basic instructions, determine whether it is Avast, Windows 10 or Eagle Dynamics causing the problem I would be very grateful.  I am sure Windows will blame Avast and Eagle Dynamics and vise versa, but if I can at least rule out Avast or, resolve any Avast issue, then I can narrow the target down.

Hi,

You can temporary disable Avast Antivirus, right-click the Avast icon in the system tray and select Avast shields control. Choose one of the options.

Offline djonion

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I tried turning everything off as suggested but the problem still persists when trying to start-up Eagle Dynamics (ED) sim.  I wondered if Anti-Track could have anything to do with it not loading properly. I think I managed to disable it but had the same unsuccessful results.  I couldn't see anything obvious that had been blocked in the Reports - Tracking History.  I don't understand the technical aspects of the Fingerprint Changes but it seems to change on a frequent but irregular basis.  Is it possible that when loading ED, the online link part is not recognising something as a result of this?

It may ultimately turn out to be an issue with ED but I'm just trying to eliminate one possible culprit at a time.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
Just a thought. Is your Avast firewall set to "Private" rather than "Public"?
That default "Public" firewall setting has caused a few issues in the past. 

Offline djonion

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
It was set to "Private".  I've tried both "Private" and "Public" settings but it makes no difference.  No other programs or apps seem to be affected so I'm beginning to think it may be nothing to do with Avast and that when Windows initially stopped the ED upgrades mid-download, it may have somehow corrupted certain files that are now causing the problem.  I'll pursue ED and see if they can offer any ideas.  Thanks for your help.