Author Topic: Avast Updates Reset Windows System Fonts  (Read 1055 times)

Offline OilCanHarry

Avast Updates Reset Windows System Fonts
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:39:15 AM »
I use a couple of third-party applications to force Windows 10 to use fonts large enough to be readable.

For some reason every time Avast Free updates it resets my fonts to Windows 10 default size. Then I have to manually reset my fonts again using System Font Size Changer and Advanced System Font Changer. This seems unreasonable to me.

Is this necessary for programming reasons or is it some weird glitch that only happens to my machine?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Updates Reset Windows System Fonts
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 02:40:30 AM »
I can't see any reason why Avast would want to reset existing font settings.

I could see something if it was actually blocking the System Font Size Changer and Advanced System Font Changer programs, in which case I would expect you to be given an alert or notification on those programs.

I haven't used either of these, so I don't know how they work to make the changes. e.g. is it just changing the settings once or is it doing this on the fly as screens are opened ?

I have a Win10 Home 1080p 15.6" laptop screen and the OS default Display Scaling setting is 125% and Resolution 1080p, but I don't like that and set it to Scale to 100%.  That makes the text pretty small for browsing so I set my browser Zoom to 133.

Now this might sound a bit convoluted, but Avast doesn't mess with these settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security