Author Topic: Problem with creating Rescue Disk on Windows 7  (Read 8726 times)

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Problem with creating Rescue Disk on Windows 7
« on: November 06, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
Hello everyone, please be informed that there is a problem with creating Rescue Disk on Windows 7 we are currently investigating. At the moment, the problem seems to be with downloading Win PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) from Microsoft that we need in order to prepare ISO or bootable USB. Windows 10 are working just fine. We will keep you updated regarding this. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:26:23 PM by petr.kolacek »

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Problem with creating Rescue Disk on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:18:45 AM »
Please be informed the problem has been fixed and new emergency update was released yesterday. If you are online, you most probably got it, so please just restart your computer and feel free to try it ;)

Let us know in case of any troubles. Have a nice day!

Offline gmason3815

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
I have Windows 7. I activated the Rescue Disc on my Avast Premium Security yesterday, 24 Dec 2020. When finished, the size of the created file was 769,806 KB. When I then tried to burn that to disc, a message came up saying, "The disc image file is too large and will not fit on the recordable disc".  What do I do now?

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 10:50:41 PM »
I have Windows 7. I activated the Rescue Disc on my Avast Premium Security yesterday, 24 Dec 2020. When finished, the size of the created file was 769,806 KB. When I then tried to burn that to disc, a message came up saying, "The disc image file is too large and will not fit on the recordable disc".  What do I do now?

Hi gmason3815, thank you for the information. We can look at it but I guess there will not be a much we can do about it as large part of the disk size is taken by Microsoft Windows PE. I would suggest to find some usb key and create rescue disk there, if possible. If not and if you have DVD R/W drive, DVD is an option too. Anyway will get back to you once we discuss if there is a space to make it smaller so it fits CD. Have a nice day. Petr

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »

Hi gmason3815, thank you for the information. We can look at it but I guess there will not be a much we can do about it as large part of the disk size is taken by Microsoft Windows PE. I would suggest to find some usb key and create rescue disk there, if possible. If not and if you have DVD R/W drive, DVD is an option too. Anyway will get back to you once we discuss if there is a space to make it smaller so it fits CD. Have a nice day. Petr

Hi there, just an information that we really do not see anything that can be removed from the ISO image. There is just the antivirus engine, virus database and Windows stuff. The only option for now is DVD or USB medium. Thank you for your understanding. Petr