Author Topic: Can't send email unless Avast provider is disabled  (Read 7685 times)

Drew Clear

Re: Can't send email unless Avast provider is disabled
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 02:55:29 PM »
NO, I am with TDS telecom.
Identical was the wrong choice of word, sorry.
I should have said that my source code had the same detail as yours.

Drew

Xozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00800000
Message-ID: <45304E1F.9080107@tds.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:40:31 -0500
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 (Windows/20060909)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: xxxxxxx <xxxxxxx@tds.net>
Subject: test
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
As I mentioned, your message shows that your ISP's SMTP server has acknowledged receipt of the complete delivery of the message to the server.  The failure to then deliver is for the ISP to explain.

However, I recognize that you are dealing with support folks at the ISP who are not well trained in understanding how SMTP really works or how the message delivery interacts with an antivirus scanner such as avast.

As you have seen, my ISP delivers these messages, so should yours but - for whatever reason your ISP's mail system does not (and it appears that at least one other ISP does not - from this thread). 

Rather than beating your head against your ISP it would seem the course of least pain would suggest:

1) Either turn off the outbound scanning of emails in the avast Internet Mail provider

or

2) Select different settings in Thunderbird that will still send an empty message body (as seen by your recipients) but not -hopefully- provoke the same problem in your ISP.

Is there a specific reason why you wish to send a plain text empty messsage body? 

If you select the option for your mail account to compose in plain text and HTML then Thunderbird would provide both the plain text and html equivalents of an empty message body in the alternative format.  Your recipient will see an empty message body no matter whether their client suppports html or plain text rendering.   

Drew Clear

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions alanrf.
I agree about your tech support comments and sounds like ISP is sensitive to added "clean email" comments by Avast  to an email with a blank body email.
I like to keep the outbound scanning on so customers can't blame my email as a source for their viruses.

As for my email formats, I send my emails in HTML format. I have played around with sending in both formats but it has no effect on the outcome if it has a blank body.

I am thinking about setting up a general signature to be sent with all emails and that should take care of the blank body problem.
Thanks again,
Drew

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
I have played around with sending in both formats but it has no effect on the outcome if it has a blank body.
I send some blank emails (without body message, only attachments) every day in text format.
The clean note is added.
I receive them too and the clean note is there...

Maybe, maybe, a problem with your email client? I'm using Outlook Express.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 03:41:29 AM »
Tech, you seem to have missed the point in this thread. 

Both Drew Clear and I used the same client - Thunderbird.  When we both send identical messages containing no body text and scanned by avast my ISP delivers the message Drew's does not.

If Drew sends exactly the same message without avast scanning then Drew's ISP delivers the message. 

It is not a client issue.