Author Topic: "The application "com.avast.uninstall.app" can't be opened"  (Read 2643 times)

Offline vincentandjanet

"The application "com.avast.uninstall.app" can't be opened"
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »
Hi, we are trying to uninstall Avast Security 14.6 on an iMac (late 2009) running macOS High Sierra Version 10.14.6 (latest version for this 2009 iMac model). 
When we choose the "Uninstall Avast Security from the Avast Menu, it states:
"The application "com.avast.uninstall.app" can't be opened"

Then a pop up window states:
"com.avast.uninstall cannot be opened because of a problem.  Check with the developer to make sure com.avast.uninstall works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application." 

So we download the most recent version from Avast website and tried to reinstall Avast.  We get this message:
"Installation Error: Avast is already installed, please uninstall the previous version first"

Any thoughts?  We cannot uninstall this software using the preferred Avast menu method and cannot reinstall unless it is uninstalled first.

Vince

Offline rag900

Re: "The application "com.avast.uninstall.app" can't be opened"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:23:25 AM »
I am seeing the same problem.

Offline loveisthemuse

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:12 AM »
Ditto. I am having the same problem. Please advise. I want this off my Mac as soon as possible. Thanks!

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 02:42:52 PM »
Hi, unfortunately this is a new bug that appeared in version 14.6 and affects macosx 10.10 and 10.11. It's caused by changes in build jobs for new macosx 11.
Thank you sharing your experience with us!

QUICK FIX for 14.6
  • open Terminal.app
  • run following scrip, please note that it will require admin rights : sudo /Applications/Avast.app/Contents/Backend/hub/uninstall.sh

Proper FIX
Will be released as part of version 14.7 that should natively support Apple Silicone. ETA - beginning of December.

We are sorry for inconvenience.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline loveisthemuse

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »
Thanks, Lukas. I appreciate the quick response. It speaks well of the company. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing the terminal thing, but it's good to hear there's a fix coming in December.