Author Topic: Could not start AMS service  (Read 8553 times)

reyman

Could not start AMS service
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:50:50 AM »
Dear All,

I just installed Avast management server in my win XP SP2. When I try to start the service from Control Panel > Adminstration Tool > Service, it said :
Could not start the avast! Management Server Service Error 1069: The service did not start due logon failure.
How can I fix this ?

regards,

Arie Reynaldi Z

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Could not start AMS service
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:53:57 PM »
The username and/or password that is used to start the service is not correct.

Please correct it in the service's properties (Log On tab).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dreadmonkey

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:55:11 PM »
Thanks!
for some reason, it was set to use different credentials. Your advice fixed it, I can start the service and log into the admin console now

dreadmonkey

tgignac

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:54:56 PM »
The username and/or password that is used to start the service is not correct.

Please correct it in the service's properties (Log On tab).

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk, how can I do this using ADNM? I changed the password for the user that authenticates due to restructuring of our IT department.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »
Vlk, how can I do this using ADNM? I changed the password for the user that authenticates due to restructuring of our IT department.

On the avast! Distributed Network Manager (ADNM) Administrator’s Guide, on page 11...
Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / avast! Management Server, I suppose...

The best things in life are free.

tgignac

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks for your smart reply Tech... problem is, I already have the client deployed. I don't want to have to go and change this for each client. Should a do a full rollout again with my new authentication credentials?

Is there an easy way to do this for all my clients using the ADNM?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:18:14 PM »
Is there an easy way to do this for all my clients using the ADNM?
As far I know, you couldn't do that. But, I'm a PC user, I don't know that much about ADNM version...  :'(
I need help from Vlk  ;)

Extracted from the manual: This account must have local administrative rights, and should also have at least read-only access to all network resources (to enable network scanning).
Please especially note that:
• the account must be valid on all machines on which you’ll be using this installation package.
If you later change the password of this account, you’ll have to manage the change of this information for all services on all computers, which may not be an easy task.  :'(

tgignac

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 03:20:34 PM »
yeah... I saw that... I'm just going to do a re-deploy  :P

Thanks for your help Tech

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 03:34:34 PM »
yeah... I saw that... I'm just going to do a re-deploy  :P
If you can, wait for Vlk's help... he knows what he's saying, not me  ;D ;)
You're welcome to avast forums.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »
So, if I understand it correctly, you're not talking about the account used for the AMS service (usually installed only on one machine - the management server), but for the avast managed clients AV service (deployed on each and every workstation), right?

If so, well, yeah, that's sort of a problem. :) I mean, it has traditionally been a problem when a password for an account used to log on a service changes (this applies to many Windows distributed applications, not only avast).

Your best bet is indeed to re-roll the whole protection. That is, uninstall the currently installed management clients (using an Uninstallation task in ADNM) and then install again (using an Installation  task in ADNM) - BTW both Installation and Uninstallation tasks can be found in the Deployment tasks folder in the console.

On a side note, I now recommend using the LocalSystem account for the avast services. It is functionally equivalent, and effectively removes this problem as the LocalSystem account never has a password.

Sorry for the hassle.. :-\

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tgignac

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
Is there a place in the install task to set the service to start with the LocalSystem account? The login accounts section is only for installation of the client software correct?