Author Topic: Remove subscription from dead machine  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Douglas250

Remove subscription from dead machine
« on: November 13, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »
Hi,
How do I deactivate my subscriptions from a dead machine? I recently had to do a rebuild of my machine as the HDD had died, I had installed all of the relevant Avast subscriptions (Cleanup, premium, breachgaurd, Anti Tracker) on my new machine. When I had check my account and subscriptions it had showed that I was 2 of 1 subscriptions and that I need to extend my subscription to cover the extra devices.
I had rand support here in Australia (google it) and they had told me that a technician needs to access my machine remotely to do this and the fee is AU$180.

Is there a way to this myself?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Remove subscription from dead machine
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Offline Douglas250

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Thanks.

That didn't give much info about deactivating a dead machine. At the moment I have a subscription for one machine but because I had to rebuild a new machine, when I activated Avast on the new build I now have two machines.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
I have just found this thread, which deals with similar problem you have:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=231030.0

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 02:49:09 PM »
Hi,
If you have installed the same product (e.g. avast premium) on both the old and the new device, have you tried to enter the dead device activation code on the new device?
If yes, what message appears when you enter the old activation code?
Normally, as long as the old device is not connected to the net (dead hard drive for example), this will release the license for a new device without having to uninstall avast from the old device.
At least that's what avast told me about it:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=225826.msg1513627#msg1513627

Offline Douglas250

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that I had used the dead activations code from my dead machine on my new machine but no luck. It shows active on 2 of 1 device when I hover over the (i) it tells that this is not allowed and that I need to pay for the addition machine.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
It shows active on 2 of 1 device when I hover over the (i) it tells that this is not allowed and that I need to pay for the addition machine.
Just wait, it should rectify itself (at the latest after 30 days).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that I had used the dead activations code from my dead machine on my new machine but no luck. It shows active on 2 of 1 device when I hover over the (i) it tells that this is not allowed and that I need to pay for the addition machine.
Hi,
Did you restart your new device after entering the activation code?

Personally with premium multi device (4), I've noticed that if I log out (via the UI) from my avast account and log back in by entering my activation code, an additional device is displayed (5) until I restart my computer (4 again)... maybe that's what's happening to you?

Otherwise, you can't rule out the possibility of a stolen account either. :-\

In any case, if you don't want to wait as Asyn proposes, you can contact avast as proposed by BWhit (avast team) in the link given above(#62).