Author Topic: Avast guys - are you really sure that updates are working?  (Read 2652 times)

creamola

Avast guys - are you really sure that updates are working?
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »
Hi,
    I have a registered home version of Avast, running on XP prof, SP1. I noticed a few days ago that it had stopped updating. Right clicking on the "A" globe icon and selecting updating (for either IAVS or program updates) just got me an hour glass for a few seconds that just went back to a prompt - no dialogue box showing update status etc. Following advice on this forum, I went and downloaded a new version of servers.def but that didn't make any difference.

So, yesterday, I uninstalled Avast, downloaded a new copy (4.7.844) and installed that. The installation ran fine - but again, the updating process just shows the hourglass mementarily as above.

I then downloaded the latest VPS. When I install that, I get a windows error that Avast update encountered an error and needs to close and a dialogue box with this info:

"Cant' install VPS update. Please, report following errorcodes: Ver:4.7.844

SI: 0X00000005
ST: 0XC0000005
LE: 0X00000000"

In addition, my event viewer shows:

"Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000005, dwRes is C0000005. "

Given that I am not the first person to report a recent update problem here - is it my setup, or is there really something wrong with the latest VPS?

Thanks,
Creamola

creamola

Re: Avast guys - are you really sure that updates are working?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:23:07 AM »

Well, I can now answer my own question:

The updates are fine!

I downloaded aswclear.exe and re-installed Avast. On reboot, it came up whinging that it couldn't run - because a dll was missing, so I did a repair and reboot - and it has all come up fine - including the stand alaone VPS update - which now reports that my VPS is current (rather than crashing - as it did before).

Very weird ........

manyara

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
i have downloaded Avast 4.7 but i dont know how to get the key to register or activate it on my computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
Whilst this is totally unrelated to this Topic, considered Hijacking the Topic and it should have gone in a topic of its own or one dealing with the same problem, using the forums search function. Just information for the future.

Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem, if however you need further help it should go in a topic of its own or one related to your problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security