Author Topic: No option to quarantine?  (Read 2734 times)

Shepard

No option to quarantine?
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:03:40 PM »
I have had this happen a few times.  I get an email in my OE inbox that avast does not like and get a pop up window with the choice to "continue" or to "delete".  If I choose delete, the pop up goes away and then pops up again.  If I choose delete again email receiving continues.  So the first question is why does the pop up box come up two times for the same message?  The second question is why am I not given an option of quarantining the message in case it is a false positive and I eventually decide I want the message?

I did a screen capture using Screen Hunter, but the file is empty.  Screen Hunter is weird that way, sometimes works perfectly, other times it captures nothing.

The information below is what is contained in the body of the email after Avast! deletes it.  this one does seem to be spam.  It would be nice if Avast could also detail exactly what virus it found in messages like this when it flags them.

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------>
>
Multiple Content-Type header - HIGH DANGER!

Sender:  "%CUSTOM_SEI  %CUSTOM_MEI" <hank457@dion.ne.jp>
Recipient:  stirfrie@yahoo.com
Subject:  ,²^Ä"à
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:06:14 PM by Shepard »

Shepard

Re: No option to quarantine?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:54:55 AM »
Well it happened again.  An email comes in that Avast pops up a warning about.  My only options are to "continue" or "delete".  Is this as it should be?   ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
I really think this should be in your other thread (which is almost identical in nature) as in there we have discussed there is no Move to Chest (quarantine) option for Heuristic detections, e.g. 'Suspicious Message!'

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23359.msg192756#msg192756

So, Yes, this is correct if it is a Heuristic 'Suspicious Message!' alert.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Shepard

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:28:15 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I had completely forgotten about that other thread.  I guess I don't really understand exactly what a heuristic detection is.  The message referenced in the other thread from a month ago was flagged because of a suspicious subject line.  This time there was no reference to a subject.  It seemed to indicate that the message had a virus with it. 

I guess I now finally understand that there is no option to quarantine email that gets tagged by Avast!  Sorry!  There may be valid reasons for this, but from a user standpoint, it would be a good option so we could at least have access to it if it was a false positive.  For example, the message from a month ago turned out to be valid and harmless.  I was able to contact the person who sent it and they just resent it without a blank subject and it came through.  However, I sometimes get messages without subjects just fine.  The other weird thing is that even when choosing the delete response to the Avast popup, it pops up again and I have to delete it twice before email receiving continues.  This is similar to if I choose "continue" which just gives me an endless loop until I choose "delete".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:44:11 PM »
Heuristic detection is that which doesn't use signatures to try and catch unusual behaviour or suspicious but not specific content. If email was detected as a virus then there is the option to send to chest as I showed in a image of an eicar test email in the other topic. So I suggest going through that again as al the points you make have been covered in one way or another in that topic.

Since that topic contains more general information, any areas that you aren't clear about would probably be best posted there. This will also make things easier on those who might use the forum search for a similar problem, all the information would be in one place.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security