Author Topic: Avast and Norton  (Read 5581 times)

Firstc520

Avast and Norton
« on: January 23, 2004, 09:14:35 PM »
Ok.....I was working on  pc at church and i  installed avast on a pc that had norton security client running on it.

When i rebooted the pc windows xp pro would not load up fully.

I was able to unistall avast after about an hour of fighting w/ the pc and now it runs fine.

Is this a possible confilic between the 2 AVs.  I do not have access to remove the Norton program because it is locked on the pc.

Any thoughts as to y this might happen?

First_C

Culpeper

Re:Avast and Norton
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 09:17:28 PM »
Running two different AVs on the same machine will cause problems.  Why is Norton locked?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 09:22:22 PM »
What version of Norton it is?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 09:24:42 PM »
norton hass a password to protect NAV settings

open norton antivirus settings and look through all the tabs. there should be a button to reset the password
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Firstc520

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 09:42:22 PM »
It is locked because whoever set up the netork here at the church installed  NA on the server and just the client on the individual pcs.  They password protected NA on the server and didn't bother giving anyone the password....which is really silly in my opinion,, but anyway....

It is  version NA 2002 corprate edition 8.00.

SO i can not access the password section on the server.......

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 09:45:43 PM »
ahh the CORPORATE edition well thats diffrent!

in that case you need the password  :'( corporate edition has no password reset  

P.S. we use the corporate edition here at macworld because symantec has a mac version although I wont let them install it on MY mac. i use Mcafee Virex
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:46:20 PM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 09:52:01 PM »
You can do a search for file called savrt.sys (or navrt.sys) and rename (I don't want you to delete) them. This should effectively disable Norton (after reboot).

The files will be either in \windows\system32\drivers or somewhere in Program Files (or at  both of these locations).

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 09:54:27 PM »
 Vlk even if you disable it you still cant uninstall it with out that code

Firstc520

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 09:55:06 PM »
Will renaming that file allow me to install Avast on the pc that I am working on?

I just don't want to fight w/ this pc again after all the trouble i had to get it back to normal.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 10:09:52 PM »
It should just cripple Norton so that he will not do its real-time scanning (and i.e. collide with avast). I hope the corporate edition does not have some kind of anti-hacker measures... :)

I just don't want to fight w/ this pc again after all the trouble i had to get it back to normal.

I understand... ;)
But it shouldn't be such a fight, really - all you needed to do is boot into Safe Mode and uninstall avast...

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
I hope the corporate edition does not have some kind of anti-hacker measures...

Nav corporate 7.6 and below dont but this is the new symantec AV corporate it may

Firstc520

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 10:34:16 PM »
one would think that it wouldn't be such a fight, since i tear into and work on pc a lot.  But booting into safe Mode wasn't working......windows still froze right after I would put in the user and password......really got annoying....

hmmmm......will have to try that.....anything else someone can think of will be appreciated.  :-)

Thanks for the help all