Author Topic: ::: Announcement :::  (Read 15030 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ::: Announcement :::
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »
It always takes two to fight.  IMHO

Yes, but usually, there's good guys and there's bad guys.

If avast! users wants to see those skins inside the avast! skins section, let them have them, otherwise... you can remove them

I'd be very unhappy to remove them... The forum is just the tip of the iceberg -- there are hundreds of thousands of avast users out there (complete unaware of the forum) who are enjoying your skins on a daily basis.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 11:09:12 PM »
b) Censorship is removing the unwanted opinions. Not removing spam, worthless messages ('me too', 'no comment', etc).

"No comment" wasn't useless reply! And you know that, but it was on your way because I had to say my opinion and it wasn't even close to what you think about Microsoft. So you had to remove reply made by someone who thinks different.

Edit: Why I believe that my reply wasn't useless is this... you posted this:

a) Paid by Microsoft...  8)

Well, in my humble opinion that post was really useless in the first place. Why ? Because you accused Microsoft of doing such a thing even though you have no proof... why that post isn't removed too ? Because it's posted by you...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:17:03 PM by szc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

If I only could make this thread go away, as if it never have happened. That really would be so dear to me.
To have this outlet of ideas and information is what counts most.  We need this webforum for some very good reasons. Let us bury the battle-axe and go on for the good of all, shake hands and on against the thing that is our enemy: malware.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:49 PM »
Polonus, how do you say "Amen" in Polish?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 11:17:52 PM »
Polonus is Duch ;)

Amen is amen in all languages I believe... at least it's in Croatian and Serbian too.

Edit: Correction - Wrong: Duch, Right: Dutch

Thanks OrangeCrate  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:43:33 PM by szc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 11:27:22 PM »
Polonus is Duch ;)

Amen is amen in all languages I believe... at least it's in Croatian and Serbian too.

Sorry, Polonus was a famous Polish Catholic Friar, and this Polonus's avatar contains the Polish coat of arms, so I guess I jumped to a (logical) conclusion?

Duch = dutch, I assume?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 11:29:56 PM »
Yes,

Po polsku to jest amen (= in Polish it is amen), in Dutch it is amen = in het Nederlands is het amen. I am bilingual, because I am Dutch, my beloved wife is Polish. Amen means that it be so, it is a wish. Friends it is the best word to end this thread and forget about it: A M E N

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 11:34:33 PM »

I am bilingual, because I am Dutch, my beloved wife is Polish. Amen means that it be so, it is a wish. Friends it is the best word to end this thread and forget about it: A M E N

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

And, in American English, I also say A M E N.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 11:35:30 PM »
Duch = dutch, I assume?

Yes, my appologies. It should have been Dutch :-\ English is not my native language even though I live in Canada (since 2002) so sometimes I miss some letters... although I see it happens to native Americans and Canadians a lot too.

Yes his avatar has Polish flag and some symbols in it... I thought it would suit our frined Polonus well. His precious wife is Polish I believe, so that's why Polish symbols everywhere... :) :)

We all have to love our wives more than anything in the World, right ?  ;D

kubecj

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »
"No comment" wasn't useless reply! And you know that, but it was on your way because I had to say my opinion and it wasn't even close to what you think about Microsoft. So you had to remove reply made by someone who thinks different.
It was. It brought nothing on topic, it did not say anything new.

Edit: Why I believe that my reply wasn't useless is this... you posted this:

a) Paid by Microsoft...  8)

Well, in my humble opinion that post was really useless in the first place. Why ? Because you accused Microsoft of doing such a thing even though you have no proof... why that post isn't removed too ? Because it's posted by you...

5 minutes of googling. Prove me wrong.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2006, 11:38:25 PM »
Just like your comment prior to my reply.. it brought nothing new or clever.

I don't have to proove anything... I didn't even mention Microsoft nor I accused anyone. Googling alone doesn't always bring you truth, and we all are well aware of that ;)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 11:41:30 PM »

We all have to love our wives more than anything in the World, right ?  ;D

For sure.

My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary yesterday. I told her, I'd do it all again. She told me, that she had married me for better or worse, and that better had a 12 minute lead on worse at 35 years, but that she was willing to keep the count for another 35 years. I can't ask for more than that, I guess.

kubecj

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 11:45:55 PM »
szc, I don't know what are you speaking about. Really.

I replied as the second in the thread of drhayden1. I pointed out that the study mentioned is skewed, because it was actually paid by MSFT and there were different products which caught more sites.

So if you call this useless... (I can live with that  :P)

http://www.techweb.com/headlines_week/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=193100205
http://blog.siteadvisor.com/2006/09/we_dont_do_antiphishing_1.shtml
http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2006/09/microsoft_study.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:52:12 PM by kubecj »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2006, 11:50:21 PM »
Well for sure it's strange for somebody who works for company such as Alwil is, who by the way is Microsoft partner, to bad mouth MS like that. I am not going into that, but I am sure you have your reasons... if I dislike them that much (trying to avoid word "hate"), I wouldn't do any business with them... but as always, it looks like "money talks"

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 11:53:24 PM »
As John Wayne once said, "O.K. boys, I think we've turned this stampede!"

SZC, please accept kubecj's kind offer of peace (if I read the post correctly), and let's talk about something else...

PS - Those skins you make are really neat. You are truly talented.