Author Topic: avast microinstaller installer?  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Zoart666

avast microinstaller installer?
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or intended. But when I downloaded the avast installer from avast.com, the uac from Windows popped up with the name "avast microinstaller installer". While in the past it said avast antivirus.

The signatures check out. But not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended. Or if it's something with 20h2 windows 10.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:02:58 PM by Zoart666 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast microinstaller installer?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
By Avast Microinstaller I'm taking it that you downloaded the avast on-line stub installation file ?

This is a very small file that just starts the installation process off and downloads the components from the internet. 

I've never had any interaction with the Windows UAC, this could be down to what settings I have and I have never used the avast-online-installation file. I prefer to download the full off-line-installation file (491MB the last one I downloaded), that way you have a copy you can use again in the future if needs be.

Also since 20h2 windows 10, I have only used the Program Updates from within the already installed version of Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:08 AM »
By Avast Microinstaller I'm taking it that you downloaded the avast on-line stub installation file ?

This is a very small file that just starts the installation process off and downloads the components from the internet. 

I've never had any interaction with the Windows UAC, this could be down to what settings I have and I have never used the avast-online-installation file. I prefer to download the full off-line-installation file (491MB the last one I downloaded), that way you have a copy you can use again in the future if needs be.

Also since 20h2 windows 10, I have only used the Program Updates from within the already installed version of Avast.

I've always used the small installer in the past. And last I installed avast was start of November which also showed the file as avast antivirus. Although I tested it on another pc that didn't have 20h2 and it also showed "avast microinstaller installer". So not sure if they changed the program name to something else ? Maybe when 20.9 was released?

I think the uac (smartscreen) should pop up when you open the file which shows the signature and program name.

Not sure if other people see or experienced this as well?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:29:24 AM by Zoart666 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
Whilst it is possible the internal program may have changed, the actual download executable file is still the same (as far as I'm aware), see this link from the topic, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=239611.0 and my attached images.

I downloaded it via that link just a few minutes ago.  Do those details match yours ?

If for any reason you have an internet connection issue, then there is a high possibility the installation could fail and that is why I always use the off-line installation file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
Whilst it is possible the internal program may have changed, the actual download executable file is still the same (as far as I'm aware), see this link from the topic, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=239611.0 and my attached images.

I downloaded it via that link just a few minutes ago.  Do those details match yours ?

If for any reason you have an internet connection issue, then there is a high possibility the installation could fail and that is why I always use the off-line installation file.

I downloaded it from the main page (https://www.avast.com/index#pc), everything seems the same besides the size.

The one I got is
Size: 215 kB (220.784 bytes)
Size on disk 216 kB (221.184 bytes)

I tried to download a couple of times, once it had your size other 2 had my sizes.

But the description and file name is the same. I did download it yesterday though.

But I'm also confused why edge has a blue button on the main page to download and Firefox green, even though they're the same URL.

I guess the description have changed on the file. Still a bit weird that downloading the file can fluctuate a bit in size when doing it multiple.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 03:48:40 PM by Zoart666 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
I have never used Edge, I didn't like it from the start, too much history with MS and Internet Explorer, not to even try it.  When Edge went Chromium, that was just another reason not to use it, I don't know like Google Chrome either.

My guess on file size would be that it reflects any change/update to the main Avast Program and could well mean a slight difference in the stub installer file size.

I downloaded it again using the link in your post, the file sizes are both 217KB and the same 222,104 bytes figure.  So no differences for me. 
Now on the page that link is on has 3 Steps and Step 2 mentions, 'Click "YES" on the system dialog (as spelt on the text) Window to approve the start of your Avast installation.'
So I just wonder if this is the UAC popup that you got, I don't know, as I said I have never used the on-line-installation file.

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
I have never used Edge, I didn't like it from the start, too much history with MS and Internet Explorer, not to even try it.  When Edge went Chromium, that was just another reason not to use it, I don't know like Google Chrome either.

My guess on file size would be that it reflects any change/update to the main Avast Program and could well mean a slight difference in the stub installer file size.

I downloaded it again using the link in your post, the file sizes are both 217KB and the same 222,104 bytes figure.  So no differences for me. 
Now on the page that link is on has 3 Steps and Step 2 mentions, 'Click "YES" on the system dialog (as spelt on the text) Window to approve the start of your Avast installation.'
So I just wonder if this is the UAC popup that you got, I don't know, as I said I have never used the on-line-installation file.

Yea, they're probably talking about the uac there. When smartscreen is activated on windows, it should pop up.

On uac the description of the file is seen and the signature. Signature is normal but the description changed, which confused me at first as it used to be avast antivirus and now just says avast microinstaller installer.

So I guess they changed it as it also showed it on your end on the description. But I haven't figured out why there are some slight size differences at times.

Edit: seems when I download it from edge it gives my size of the file but when I do it through Firefox it gives the size in your description... Weird

Either way, seems that there's nothing weird going on and that the description just changed then.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:03:14 PM by Zoart666 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
I can't say anything more on the size other than what I did before, mine were both identical.
I guess the file would be dynamically updated on the server to ensure people get the latest version.  Though why there would be a very slight difference in size depending on which browser is used is beyond me.

As far as Edge goes, I actually went the extra mile and removed Edge, so I can't use it and consequently the SmartScreen for Edge is Off.  Having Avast installed the Windows Defender is disabled, so the first entry in in the App & Browser control is redundant also.

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »
I can't say anything more on the size other than what I did before, mine were both identical.
I guess the file would be dynamically updated on the server to ensure people get the latest version.  Though why there would be a very slight difference in size depending on which browser is used is beyond me.

As far as Edge goes, I actually went the extra mile and removed Edge, so I can't use it and consequently the SmartScreen for Edge is Off.  Having Avast installed the Windows Defender is disabled, so the first entry in in the App & Browser control is redundant also.

Smartscreen should do more than just work with edge. It should check every file you run to check the signature and then goes over a list to see if it's a know malicious file.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Still kind of weird about the file sizes but yea. Anyway, I guess I should be safe either way design that j got it from the main site?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
You're welcome.

I'm only quoting what Windows 10 is saying in the UI. 

I only considered what is implied in the screenshot Microsoft Defender SmartScreen, if it means that Microsoft Defender (the AV must be running) then when another AV is installed then the OS disables Windows Defender (or puts into passive mode).  Which may or may not confirm my not having seen this.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 11:41:41 PM »
Just to clarify, even with Avast running, Microsoft still offers some protection.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 01:26:24 AM »
Just to clarify, even with Avast running, Microsoft still offers some protection.
<snip image>
The descriptions certainly doesn't make that clear and or could result in a conflict with the Web Shield and or File Shield.

Your image doesn't appear to be from the same location as mine APP & Browser Control (unless you have cropped it).
Even then your image has more options, nothing on my settings about Potential Unwanted App Blocking.

Offline Zoart666

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
<snip image>
The descriptions certainly doesn't make that clear and or could result in a conflict with the Web Shield and or File Shield.

Your image doesn't appear to be from the same location as mine APP & Browser Control (unless you have cropped it).
Even then your image has more options, nothing on my settings about Potential Unwanted App Blocking.

I think an option is gone on your end because edge is disabled. I think the one you're missing is linked to the edge option.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
<snip image>

I think an option is gone on your end because edge is disabled. I think the one you're missing is linked to the edge option.

For me there is little clarity in this area, considering it is supposedly the APP & Browser Control.

My image missing item Potential Unwanted App Blocking doesn't appear to be linked to Edge the other that is still there and is shown as off and not Missing. As I mentioned clarity/consistency.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »
Nothing was cropped from my image.
Those are my settings.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet