Author Topic: how to stop avast from scanning steam download  (Read 4578 times)

Offline vls519

how to stop avast from scanning steam download
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:01:46 AM »
it's eating up the CPU and slowing down the entire system and potentially slowing down the download too.
I've added all steam folders to exclusion and it just ignores it and scan every single steam download.
it's becoming a nuisance that I have to permanently disable all shield every time when I use steam. 
is there any way to stop avast from scanning steam download? exclusion clearly doesn't work.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: how to stop avast from scanning steam download
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
Reported to Avast. Let's see if that gets you some help. (On Monday)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »
it's eating up the CPU and slowing down the entire system and potentially slowing down the download too.
I've added all steam folders to exclusion and it just ignores it and scan every single steam download.
it's becoming a nuisance that I have to permanently disable all shield every time when I use steam. 
is there any way to stop avast from scanning steam download? exclusion clearly doesn't work.

Hi,

Are you using Avast Free or Premium and which version?
Could you also enable each shield one by one and let us know which one is causing the issue, please?

Offline theycallmebrandon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:03:52 PM »
He shouldn't have to contribute any support. This is a problem that I've seen posted for over a decade. Stop screwing with trusted programs like steam! How hard is that? Why can't you give complete control over to smooth brain idiots like myself to control what Avast blocks? I shouldn't have to spend an hour after work trying to fix your F-ups that have existed for over a decade with thousands and thousands of people complaining. I've disabled ever feature you'll allow me to disable, added Steam to exceptions, and still nothing! I paid for the premium service, and now I'm canceling it. Thanks for nothing-

-Smooth brain idiot taking his money back

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:02:45 PM »
Hi Brandon and thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you canceled your premium service, but I respect your decision. I will try to address your concerns:

This is a problem that I've seen posted for over a decade. Stop screwing with trusted programs like steam! How hard is that?
You are right - compatibility issues between Avast and Steam have been reported for some time now. Given the popularity of both Avast and Steam, and the variety of software distributed through the Steam platform, there is always some potential for issues. We're trying really hard to make things smooth, and over the last decade, we released many fixes and improvements focused on Steam and Steam apps. Just yesterday, we released a new update 21.3, which should improve the performance of security components.

Why can't you give complete control over to smooth brain idiots like myself to control what Avast blocks? I shouldn't have to spend an hour after work trying to fix your F-ups that have existed for over a decade with thousands and thousands of people complaining. I've disabled ever feature you'll allow me to disable, added Steam to exceptions, and still nothing!
It's perfectly understandable that you don't wish to spend an hour troubleshooting this. You can read in the original post that user vls519 was able to work around this problem by disabling Avast shields. If you disabled all Avast shields and the problem persisted, it may indicate a more complicated culprit. Please note that you can always switch Avast to the "Passive Mode" to disable the real-time protection completely.

However, since we are not aware of any similar ongoing problem between the latest version of Avast and Steam, and neither were we able to reproduce one, we might need more information, such as:
- What is the exact behavior? Are Steam downloads faster when Avast is disabled? What is the difference in speed?
- Will the problem persists when Avast Web Shield is disabled?
- Is there any notable difference in performance overall when all Avast shields are disabled?
- Are any other programs affected? (that could again indicate a different kind of problem)
- Are you running the latest Avast version (21.3)?

This is in case someone else experiences a similar problem and wants to troubleshoot it further.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:15:35 PM by prokopes_ »

Offline Cololol

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »
Hello,

To answer some questions as I've been struggling with it as well (or at least not reaching anywhere near maximum theoretical 125MB/s @1Gbit connection) and would like some sort of control as well.
After a quick test I noticed shields disabled can indeed give much higher speeds depending on the type and size of download. The crew2 being a decent example which went at 60MB/s shields on, ~100MB/s shields off (for reference; speed tests max at about 950Mbit).

The biggest problem is there is no option to not scan such downloads real-time... If scan only known browser processes is supposed to do that, the option is not functioning as intended as my test was with the option ticked.
For more advanced users there is no reason to scan such big game downloads real-time, even if it were infected it would be stopped on execution if suspicious right? I know the answer to that is a bit more technical but for anyone accepting that "minor" risk by changing the option in the geek area it should be possible to just avoid scanning complete game downloads.