Author Topic: Update processor usage, focus grab  (Read 3850 times)

Elethiomel

Update processor usage, focus grab
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:45:23 PM »
When automatic updates are on the high system resource usage of the update program makes performance-critical applications unviable to run, because it is impossible to tell if an automatic update will happen during program execution. So I switched to being notified by the green pop-up box which uses negligible system resources.

Whenever it pops up and I am not running a performance-critical application, I will click it. However, the update program that runs when I click the green pop-up box grabs focus three separate times while it is running, making continuing to work on something else while Avast updates unviable.

Is there a way of having automatic updates without the slowdown, or to have notified updates that do not grab focus?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update processor usage, focus grab
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »
Check the Program Settings, Update (Basic), Details (see image), these give more options, if nothing is displayed then I guess you wouldn't lose focus.

Silent is another option, but would have to check these to see if they meet your needs.
Quote from: Extract avast! help file
Details. Detailed settings (and proxy server) can be performed here.
Running mode. This setting controls the behavior of manual updates. Automatic updates are always "silent".
Normal. When an update is performed, avast! will display a summary. Optionally, the progress of the update can be shown.
Silent. The updates will be performed completely on background, no messages will be shown.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Elethiomel

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »
Thanks for your help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
The automatic updates are running on Normal priority already (as far I know, they've promissed some improvements on this process, specially decreasing the priority from High to Normal).
Are you using Home or Professional version of avast?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:48:27 PM »
Thanks for your help!
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Let us know the outcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Elethiomel

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 06:28:55 PM »
Are you using Home or Professional version of avast?
I'm using Home version of avast.

No problem, welcome to the forums.

Let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

I will as soon as I am notified of a new update. I believe it will work (I switched it to "silent" mode), so the most uncertain aspect of this at the moment is whether the "reset neccessary" notification that happens on engine update grabs focus in such a way that if I am typing as it appears, and I press space, that space press will click "yes".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
if I am typing as it appears, and I press space, that space press will click "yes".
This will be difficult to workaround... To appear and to be seen, the notification appears at the top, taking the focus...
The focus will be lost, as far I know, when the panel disappears.
It'll be better, indeed, if you use silent mode  ;)
The best things in life are free.