Author Topic: Slow System Start-up after upgrading to 4.7.892  (Read 3994 times)

Bodohlah

Slow System Start-up after upgrading to 4.7.892
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »
I upgraded my Avast Home Edition to version 4.7.892 this week. Since then, my system takes almost 15 minutes to start-up each yime. It also takes a while for programs to be loaded.
I have tried using MSConfig to remove other software/services  from loading during start-up to see if it improves, but it did not. When I checked my event log, I notice that I get 2 errors each time upon start-up:

1. Timeout, followed by
2. The avast! web scanner service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The web scanner service eventually did start successfully as shown in later logs. (Note: I am permanently logged on internet through my router). Avast! is running fine once it is loaded. It continues to detect viruses from incoming mail in Outlook.

I did not have this performance problem prior to this Avast upgrade. Memory and disks space are more than enough. Apart from this software upgrade, nothing is changed. I am using Windows XP Version 5.1 service pack 2.

Is my Avast! program corrupted during the upgrade? I did notice that when I tried to re-boot the system after the upgrade was installed succesfully, I keep getting a message telling me another User is logged on. However, I was the only User. In the end, I just forced a re-boot.

Should I re-install Avast!?

Please HELP!

Bodohlah

NickGolovko

Re: Slow System Start-up after upgrading to 4.7.892
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
I didn't have this.

Any other security software installed on your computer?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
Are you logged as the administrator?

1. Timeout
Of which application or service?

I keep getting a message telling me another User is logged on. However, I was the only User. In the end, I just forced a re-boot.
Are you using a P2P software like eMule? Any software that runs as a non-priviligiated user?

Quoting Lukas:

You might want to try running this tool: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/userdump.exe

When the problem appears please start it with the following command:

userdump ashwebsv.exe

It will create a memory dump of running webshield process (in the file ashwebsv.dmp). Please upload the file to our ftp server (ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming) and send me a mail about it. We will have a look at the dump if something unnatural is happening there - provided that your browser is not downloading like crazy, it that case it would be more than normal that webshield should be scanning like doublescrazy as well.
The best things in life are free.

Bodohlah

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »
I didn't have this.

Any other security software installed on your computer?

None. Avast is the only one.

Bodohlah

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 04:15:05 PM »
Are you logged as the administrator? Yes, I have admin priveledges.

1. Timeout
Of which application or service?

Here is copy of log from Event Viewer:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7009
Date:      07-Oct-2006
Time:      6:54:58 AM
User:      N/A
Computer:   XXXX
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

I keep getting a message telling me another User is logged on. However, I was the only User. In the end, I just forced a re-boot.
Are you using a P2P software like eMule? Any software that runs as a non-priviligiated user? Not aware of any. The point is that this performance problem only came just about after upgrading my Avast home edition and rebooting the system. Now it is so slow as to be almost unusable! Takes about 5 minutes or more to load ANY application.

Quoting Lukas:

You might want to try running this tool: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/userdump.exe

When the problem appears please start it with the following command:

userdump ashwebsv.exe

It will create a memory dump of running webshield process (in the file ashwebsv.dmp). Please upload the file to our ftp server (ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming) and send me a mail about it. We will have a look at the dump if something unnatural is happening there - provided that your browser is not downloading like crazy, it that case it would be more than normal that webshield should be scanning like doublescrazy as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

System event log ID 7009: If you monitor the event logs on your network, you may notice that the System event log on a Workstation (or Server) contains:
ID 7009 Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect.
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
This error is generally caused by a user that starts to logon and immediatly logs off.
If a service is configured to interact with the desktop, it may fail to start. The user receives:
The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.
When they logon again, the Service Control Manager (SCM) logs the two events in the system event log.

So, which programs are allowed to start automatically in your computer? Use Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com to see not only programs but everything at startup.
Which firewall are you using?

Bodohlah, did you follow Lukas' instructions to dump the ashWebSv.exe?

Bodohlah

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:04:07 PM »

System event log ID 7009: If you monitor the event logs on your network, you may notice that the System event log on a Workstation (or Server) contains:
ID 7009 Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect.
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
This error is generally caused by a user that starts to logon and immediatly logs off.
If a service is configured to interact with the desktop, it may fail to start. The user receives:
The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.
When they logon again, the Service Control Manager (SCM) logs the two events in the system event log.

So, which programs are allowed to start automatically in your computer? Use Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com to see not only programs but everything at startup.
Which firewall are you using?

Bodohlah, did you follow Lukas' instructions to dump the ashWebSv.exe?

The Windows firewall is turned on. This is no different from what it used to be before the upgrade.

I cannot start the ashwebsv.exe because I cannot use the Run Command until the system is started. The problem is that it takes 15 to 20 minutes to start up the system. I have tried turning off the web shield and tick "Yes" so that it will NOT start during initial system start-up. However, I still get the same problem - it takes a long time for my desktop to come up and services loaded. I then put web shield back to start since turning it off does not solve the problem. I think I will try to re-install the Avast software. If it still does not solve the problem, I may have to re-install the OS! Hopefully this will clear the problem

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »
For any way, can you boot in Safe Mode and follow Vlk's suggestions here?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23283.msg194668#msg194668

To boot in safe mode, repeatedly press F8 while booting: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222