Author Topic: checking Gmail  (Read 2978 times)

ATHiker95

checking Gmail
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:00:00 AM »
I download email into OE from 3 different accounts, one being my GMail account. With the other two accounts, the little bar pops up at the bottom as each email comes in , telling me what that email is.  But when it gets to the GMail account, it shuts off and doesn't tell me anything. Sort of makes me wonder if it is checking that email.  Anybody else have this happen or how I fix this? (Not even sure what setting I selected to make that bar appear in the first place!)

Thanks,
Mark

neiby

Re: checking Gmail
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:55:13 AM »
It's sort of a moot point, in a way. All Gmail is scanned for viruses by Google. Then again, you still may be able to download infected emails via POP3, so maybe it isn't a moot point.  :-)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »
I download email into OE from 3 different accounts, one being my GMail account. With the other two accounts, the little bar pops up at the bottom as each email comes in , telling me what that email is.  But when it gets to the GMail account, it shuts off and doesn't tell me anything. Sort of makes me wonder if it is checking that email.  Anybody else have this happen or how I fix this? (Not even sure what setting I selected to make that bar appear in the first place!)

Welcome to the forum!

Please use the search button before you post in here, as many things have been discussed before  :)

For avast + gmail...see this thread for more info:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20093.0
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
Do you think that "little bar that pops" is produced by avast! ? I just don't know what you might mean? Cheers. Lukor

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
The little bar pops up at the bottom as each email comes in
To which application does this little bar belongs?
Can you post a screenshot?
The best things in life are free.

iano39

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:58:42 AM »
I just became interested in scanning my Gmail (whether it is a moot point or not!) and thanks to other threads on this forum and a bit of my own skill I was easily able to achieve this using stunnel.  You could say I'm stunneled!  But why would you!  Actually I must admit that for a long while I'd not even considered that the SSL mail was not scanned, even though it is really obvious that this is so, and why it is so.   I do like to do it at this end though, stunnel is cool.   However, Mark, it probably is not necessary and you'll need to change the Avast config slightly, and will also need a non-standard configuration for GMail in OE (or whatever mail client you want to use) which may confuse you later on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:01:05 AM by iano39 »