Author Topic: EMERGENCY - MAJOR PROBLEM  (Read 19652 times)

Culpeper

Re:EMERGENCY - MAJOR PROBLEM
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004, 08:14:12 PM »
Okay, I'll ask if you have installed a different AV program and does that work fine on your system?

Culpeper

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 01:24:00 AM »
Okay, I'll take your silence as a "no" and subsequent "I don't know."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 02:13:08 PM »
We have seen a lot of Norton uninstalls that really doesn't uninstall everything related to Norton that causes conflicts with new installs with different AV programs.
but avast will refues to load won't it? so why would a leftover reg. key cause this?

No Summoner, avast! could load and you will think it's ok but it won't scan files at DOS level, I mean, you won't be able to execute files, or open some others because of the mess that the Symantec drivers bring to the Registry keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet...\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers  >:(
The best things in life are free.

DragonRider

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 02:40:07 PM »
Do you people even actually read my post?
I have reformatted the drive, and ONLY Avast does this.
NO OTHER AV DOES IT.
Back before the reformat Norton didn't lock me out of my removable media. Since then, and many reformats later, NO OTHER AV SOFTWARE has locked me out like this.
ONLY AVAST.
READ THIS before answering with comments from left field.

DragonRider

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »
I am sorry if I seem a little "testy", but after trying several AV's and reformatting to get rid of all the "old crap" they put into the registry, I am a little pissed off.
None of the other AV's lock me out of using my removable media. NONE.
Only Avast. As soon as I remove Avast from my system, I can use those drives. And you can see where I could be a little P.O.'d.
I mean it's nice to have a decent AV, but I kind of like being able to use my CD reader, my CD burner, and my Zip Drive.
And those are the only drives that I know of that it locks out.
All of my HD partitions are fine, and my floppy drive is fine.
Now, I understand very well about the Norton thing, but I have since reformatted my drive several times, so therefore there are no left over reg keys in my system. Unless Norton has found a way for those somehow survive repartitioning and reformatting?
So, because nobody here knows whats going on, and since I dont get jack in the way of answers from the manufacturer, I can NOT recommend this software, even with the high marks it gets everywhere.
I am currently runnig AVG, its OK, but I actually liked the feature set of Avast.
So, IF anyone can help, please do so. I will continue monitoring this to see if it EVER gets resolved.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 03:52:57 PM »
Dragon, please do not shot!
We're here trying to help you or wasting our time...  :(

Read your all previous posts. You have never told that you reformat the HDD after the av uninstallations...  ::)

I use a CD reader/burner (Nero, InCD and others), Zip Drive (Iomega) and of course HDD and floppy drivers without any trouble with avast!  8)

Culpeper

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 04:24:53 PM »
Listen smartass.  Your machine is allergic to Avast.  Use a different program.  You still never answered my question.  I'm not interested that Norton worked before you erased everything.  I'm interested in whether nor not ANY antivirus program is currently working on your machine.
I did read your posts.  Twice.  And you never stated that you installed and tested other AV programs other than avast since your new comeback to the board. ;D

I'm still assuming that you can't get any AV program to work on your machine now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 04:27:19 PM by Culpeper »

DragonRider

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 02:19:19 PM »
OK. Heres the rundown for those who cannot tell from my previous posts that other AVs works FINE on my machine:
1. NAV = No Problems
2. McAfee = No Problems
3. AVG = No Problems
4. Avast = locks out ALL removable media (except floppy)
5. BitDefender = during loading personal setting phase of XP boot references No Disk in Drive at a location not on my machine, but I found out that they were already aware of this error.

So, now you know what is what.
And BTW, I AM NOT A SMARTASS!
 I come looking for help give the info (which gets misinterpreted many times over) and get called names by people who "supposedly" know what is what.

And since you people cannot/or are unwilling to help and the company itself just ignores my emails I will NO LONGER EVEN RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT no matter how many high marks it gets elsewhere. DUE TO LACK OF SUPPORT.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 02:21:51 PM »
OK. Heres the rundown for those who cannot tell from my previous posts that other AVs works FINE on my machine:
1. NAV = No Problems
2. McAfee = No Problems
3. AVG = No Problems
4. Avast = locks out ALL removable media (except floppy)
5. BitDefender = during loading personal setting phase of XP boot references No Disk in Drive at a location not on my machine, but I found out that they were already aware of this error.

So, now you know what is what.
And BTW, I AM NOT A SMARTASS!
 I come looking for help give the info (which gets misinterpreted many times over) and get called names by people who "supposedly" know what is what.

And since you people cannot/or are unwilling to help and the company itself just ignores my emails I will NO LONGER EVEN RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT no matter how many high marks it gets elsewhere. DUE TO LACK OF SUPPORT.

There is not a lack of support...
Please, let's start again, a new forum, with the information above...  ;)

DragonRider

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 02:22:54 PM »
Oh and just so U know, I tried an AV then reformatted, this way there were NO conflicts with previous AVs.

And yes I referenced a reformat when I said I had "redone" my machine.
I do NOT do reformatting lightly, because I simply have too much software that then has to be reinstalled (several gigs worth).

trigger

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 02:32:57 PM »
Maybe hardware related (I know it shouldn't, but it could)??? What hardware do you have?

Peter

NeriusB

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2004, 02:45:57 PM »
Hello to All

What does you mean of saying: "DUE TO LACK OF SUPPORT"- did you paid for AVAST - NO !!!
People in this forum (and also from AWIL company) are trying to help you and ,as I know, support for AVAST is one of the best i'v ever heard. Try to solve yours problem (it could be also hardware related or so one) provide as much as possible information and don't tell in every post "I WILL NEVER RECOMEND AVAST ANY MORE". If you really want to install AVAST try it to install in different ways, with support from this forum, but if you want only to say "that AVAST is bad"- install Norton (and get significant lose in speed) and don't cry in every post.

As about my suggestion regarding this: try diskconnect all yours ZIP drives, re-install WinXP (clear install) and then avast and only then  connect ZIP drives and install all necessary drivers for them. Also (I'm sorry, it's only quess, I don't want to say you are doing this and blame you: if you are using "pirated " copy of XP, it could be possible, that CD contains virus inside asd this prevenmts AVAST from installing and properly working).
If you want to make AVAST running on yours seestem keep trying and remember, Home edition is free software and if you want to save some money you should try a little more and you are not have any official rights for any official support.

regards
NeriusB

Omik

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2004, 04:14:57 PM »
I second the above statement.
Well said, Nerius B

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2004, 04:21:24 PM »
Heh and he would get better support from Symantec for payed product LOL. Wish you luck :P No one can beat avast! tech support!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2004, 04:56:57 PM »
Unlike others I'm sorry for not paying enough attention to your problems so far. I'll try to remedy it now, if your still interested. ;)

Now let's show some real stuff. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 04:57:46 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.