Author Topic: "Do Not Disturb" mode popup is slow, frequently in the way  (Read 746 times)

Offline robfrume087

"Do Not Disturb" mode popup is slow, frequently in the way
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I appreciate this feature but I think the way it is presented right now has the opposite effect of not annoying the user. Whenever I run a new application and Avast puts it into Do Not Disturb mode, when I close it I get a pop-up in the lower-right of my screen sliiiiiiiding into view to tell me the app has DND turned on now. Then it sliiiiides out of view, lagging the system as it does so.

If Avast used a regular Windows notification I could silence the Do Not Disturb alerts with Windows' options, but instead it is its own "thing" with its own appearance and graphical flourishes that slow down the GUI on even a powerful computer. IMHO these strange custom notifications are unattractive and bothersome, and future versions should display notifications through Windows like a normal application does.

I would uninstall the Do Not Disturb feature entirely but then Avast will bother me during these applications. I just don't want Avast's notifications, as they are the thing I'm trying to silence.

This is not isolated to Avast, as many antivirus programs use their own heavy "themes", and I cannot fathom the reason. No AV company wants their product to slow down the PC or annoy the user, especially just for looks.

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:01:25 AM by robfrume087 »

Offline strakl

Re: "Do Not Disturb" mode popup is slow, frequently in the way
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:13:57 AM »
Well, I partly agree with you. The notifications should be the normal windows system ones, a part from those that you get with a threat detection, those should stay the same.

Offline robfrume087

Re: "Do Not Disturb" mode popup is slow, frequently in the way
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 10:54:52 AM »
Yes, I agree, the intent must be to ensure the user sees them. Threat alerts seem to appear in the center of the screen as a modal dialog box rather than sliding into view, it seems that Do Not Disturb and Avast's advertisements for its other products are the only notifications that slide in. Thx.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:19:05 PM by robfrume087 »