Author Topic: Avast Antivirus set to auto-update, but doesn't  (Read 2188 times)

Offline robfrume087

Avast Antivirus set to auto-update, but doesn't
« on: November 17, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
Hello. Avast seems to work nicely. However I have to manually update the virus definitions and application. It is set to Auto-Update, but whenever I open the Update section of Settings, it says "up to date"- clicking the two Update buttons then downloads a newer version, so it apparently had not been updating itself. I have checked that Task Scheduler in Windows is running and I haven't manually disabled any of its events. Is there something else I might be missing? Thank you in advance for any advice!

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast Antivirus set to auto-update, but doesn't
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »
@robfrume087
Which version of Windows do you have?
Which version of Avast. Free or Paid?

Have you tried repiar of Avast via UI:
Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting [Repair App]

I would also do a pc Restart (not shutdown/startup cycle) for good measure.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:16:26 AM by rocksteady »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »
Hello. Avast seems to work nicely. However I have to manually update the virus definitions and application. It is set to Auto-Update, but whenever I open the Update section of Settings, it says "up to date"- clicking the two Update buttons then downloads a newer version, so it apparently had not been updating itself. I have checked that Task Scheduler in Windows is running and I haven't manually disabled any of its events. Is there something else I might be missing? Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hi,

When you click on CHECK FOR UPDATES the app will check for updates and then after that, it will display installing update, but this will only last a few seconds since you already have the latest installed. You can verify this by looking at the release date for application update and see if it changed.
For Virus definitions - with streaming updates, this is more frequent maybe every 10 minutes.

Offline robfrume087

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
Paid, and Win10. Thanks for the response, I know it will keep trying to update even if you have the latest. But unless I do this manually, it does not update. I already have streaming virus defs turned on. If I must update it manually, I wish it would tell me when an update is available without manually opening the avast control panel, going to Settings, then to Update, then clicking two separate buttons. The Update option itself could say "already up to date" or gray the Update buttons if there are no updates available (check for them when the Update section is opened?) Right now it is very inconvenient :( It could also check for updates before running a scan... now I have to do it myself every time.

I notice Avast forgot my login, so I will try again after logging into the account. Thank you for the idea. Maybe then it will update itself. But it did not do this when i was logged in before...

I hope this will stop Avast popping up advertisements for its VPN service, which I intentionally uninstalled because if it runs for many hours, even turned off, the VPN service will keep running and its memory consumption will grow to a gigabyte or more. I don't want advertisements, especially with a paid subscription.

Thank you and I will report back
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:51:10 AM by robfrume087 »

Offline robfrume087

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »
After re-activating avast, it still shows messages constantly in the control panel for its VPN service, which I do not want and which still has free trial time remaining, but it's still trying to sell me this. Same thing for the registry cleaner feature. I don't want to have keep saying Skip, every time I scan. And then it warns me, "this could save you a headache or worse later!" but I already paid Avast enough money, I don't want to buy anything more, I just want it to do the thing I paid it to do.

Another small bug. Every time I scan it also says I have "0 outdated applications" and prompts me to take action to resolve them. No applications are listed, but it still has a Resolve button and it's still another screen I have to click past.

I am trying the troubleshooting > repair option to see if any improvement, thanks for this tip

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:04:03 AM by robfrume087 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
After re-activating avast, it still shows messages constantly in the control panel for its VPN service, which I do not want and which still has free trial time remaining, but it's still trying to sell me this. Same thing for the registry cleaner feature. I don't want to have keep saying Skip, every time I scan. And then it warns me, "this could save you a headache or worse later!" but I already paid Avast enough money, I don't want to buy anything more, I just want it to do the thing I paid it to do.
You can disable the ads in the paid versions: Avast GUI -> Settings -> Personal Privacy
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline robfrume087

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »
Thank you! I will set this, I really appreciate the tip.
I will see if it starts auto-updating after the Repair also.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0