Author Topic: Hello  (Read 13209 times)

Datagg

Hello
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:39:02 AM »
Hello, im new here. Just got done a couple of hours ago downloading the pro version for trial. Man i love this program, kudos to the creators. ive been trying so many as of late to find that right one.  A few qestions though if ya dont mind. On the face of the program, it has the site name, when it is clicked it shows that an extension doesnt exist, this also happens when i found some viruses on comp that others didnt find, and when more info pressed it does same error, a pop up that an extension doesnt point to this item. So i was wonderign on that.

Second question is, i notice both programs are very similar in nature. Is it worth it to get the pro or the home version. i have outpost firewall so that checks for alot of scripts and all amongst other things, so that was one of my questions.

The third, i have I hate spam on my computer, and both programs said they wouldd not allow scans to be done on emails for they both use port 110. So how would i handle that.

Well thats it, thanks for a great product guys and im happy to be a part of the family here.  

Take care,

Dan

Culpeper

Re:Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 08:01:53 AM »
Need more detail on concerning your first paragraph.  Thanks.

Check out http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1018.html to answer your second paragraph.

I use spampal (free program) that works well with Avast.  You just need to set up your email client to use a different incoming port.  Something like 1110 instead of 110.

If you end up using Spampal with Avast your user id in the email client should look something like this, "yourname#pop3.yourisp.com@localhost"

Datagg

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 08:18:19 AM »
Links thru out the program and more info liks are having pop up of ERROR  asHulnt "there is no application associated with given file name extension"

on the spam program, i bought this a few weeks ago, it works extremely well. upon installing the program it asked about pop and smtp, i did auto, then it said it cant work, i hate spam poped up and sadi same thing, both share 110, im unsure if the port can be changed or not.  Here is the site to this program http://sunbeltsoftware.com/product.cfm?id=930

also, i knwo it might be hard to answer here but is there any opinions on to have the home or pro versions??? advantages or dissadvantages??

1 year of updates for pro...
forever with home???

Also if I go pro, how much would it cost for 2 licensses, i may use on 2 different comps, 1 is my bros.....

Thanks...

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 08:40:12 AM »
Change the incoming port in your email client to 1110 and the port number for your spam program to 111.  You should try the free version instead of pro for the time being.  The price schedule for the pro version can be found at www.avast.com.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 08:41:47 AM by Culpeper »

Datagg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 08:50:15 AM »
Ok thanks. So you think ishould uninstal pro and instal home??
and the spam program, it integrates into outlook, so there is no spam ports to change, all there is are the 110 and 25 in defualt....

Thanks again...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 09:27:52 AM »
having pop up of ERROR  asHulnt "there is no application associated with given file name extension"

Which links, exactly? Like the one on the picture?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 09:38:18 AM »
Yes those are them,   and its fixed now, thanks, just was coming here to report it, I did myied2 on here and then uninstaled it few hours later, seems as though it messed up the associations o point to, had to redo target...Thanks anyways. I took out the pro version and installed the Home, just registered and all......man i love this program..Not everyday you find a virus program that talks to you, works like a charm, and looks good also thru skins and all and is free.......this is like christmas morning right now...awesome awesome program, a thousand thanks...

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 06:37:33 PM »
You will need to find a way to change the incoming port of at least one of these programs.  I wonder if you can change the incoming port number for the Avast scanner?

Datagg

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 10:06:35 PM »
I sent a letter to sunbelt asking them, for I hate spam program becomes aprt of outlook, so there sint any ports to chnge, all there is are the normal ports. If the spam program wasnt thsi damn good i would delete it, but I paid for it and my spam is non existent now. Hopefully I hear god news back that i can, if not well i guss i cant have email scans...

Thanks all.....

Datagg

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 10:24:22 PM »
This is what they just sent me for a reply....

If you are receiving this message chances are you have another service or application that is using port 110. Typical programs that may be using this port are a personal mail server, some proxy servers as well as some older anti-virus products. In order to use this port for spam filtering you will need to locate and disable the current program that is utilizing this port.

well thats it...still didnt tell me if i can change them or not. For the hell of it i went in there and changed 110 to 1110 and it didnt work.

I wrote them back again and insisted if there is a way to change the ports??/ we shall see if i get a reply back on that.

But from the reply they did give it looks like a no..and based on the options for this program and its integrated design it doesnt look like it.

If this spam program wasnt so damn good it would be easy, and of course I paid for it also..

Any other suggestions???

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 10:52:19 PM »
To clarify, have you tried changing the incoming port number in Outlook?

Also, another suggestion is to alter your user ID in outlook to look something like, "yourname#pop3.yourisp.com@localhost" or "yourname#mail.yourisp.com@localhost"

Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

And another suggestion is to look in directory C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data for the Avast4.ini.

open the file using notepad and the section [MailScanner] and add ":1110" (exception the quotation marks) to the end of the line "defaultpopserver"

Example:  DefaultPopServer=mail.yourisp.com:1110

This will change the defaul port 110 to 1110 for Avast email scanner.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 11:16:04 PM by Culpeper »

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 11:15:22 PM »
detag

I've modified my post above.

Datagg

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 11:16:03 PM »
Outlook express..And the i hate spam program set smtp and pop was set up that way for id......the only thing i see is the incoming port has been changed from a smtp of @cox to a 127 **** number.....  the ports in advanced are still defaults.  this is what my incoming pop says
Datagg3:pop.west.cox.net plus there are 4 more accounts similar to that one....

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 11:17:04 PM »
Check my suggestions for the Avast4.ini I posted in my modified post above.  You can change Avast to port 1110.

Culpeper

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 11:18:32 PM »
to repeat:

And another suggestion is to look in directory C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data for the Avast4.ini.

open the file using notepad and the section [MailScanner] and add ":1110" (exception the quotation marks) to the end of the line "defaultpopserver"

Example:  DefaultPopServer=mail.yourisp.com:1110

This will change the defaul port 110 to 1110 for Avast email scanner.