Author Topic: Hotmail, Outlook 2003, Folder Sync  (Read 2865 times)

definitelytheman

Hotmail, Outlook 2003, Folder Sync
« on: October 08, 2006, 07:09:07 AM »
Hi All,

After installing Avast, all of a sudden, my Outlook no longer wants to let me read the emails.

So, here's what happens.

If I click, "Send/Receive," it pops up a box to do 2 tasks: "Hotmail - Sending" (which is does fine), and "Hotmail: Folders: Synchronizing Inbox Headers", which doesn't happen.  It starts a progress bar that doesn't finish.  But there's no error message.

Outlook then downloads the messages, but the bodies are blank.  If you try to double-click the message to read it, a message pops up that says,

"Can't open this item.  This operation is not supported until the entire message is downloaded.  Download the message and try again."

But, clicking send/receive, closing/reopening outlook, and/or turning off the "Internet Mail" & "Outlook/Exchange" On-Access Scanners don't work.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Hotmail, Outlook 2003, Folder Sync
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »
Are you using Outlook Express? If so, into the firewall settings, is the following program allowed to connect?
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)

If you're using only MS Outlook, make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

Please, post more info  ;)
The best things in life are free.

definitelytheman

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:44:02 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I've checked, and all systems are go when it comes to the Avast plugin being enabled.  What other information would be helpful?

Thanks again!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:30:58 PM »
What other information would be helpful?
Sorry, I should be more specific.
Maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:

Log=20

Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474
The best things in life are free.