Author Topic: Malware Found  (Read 11703 times)

Offline soccerguy99

Re: Malware Found
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
 :) thx

Can someone with experience using VirusTotal help interpret these results
Screenshots are a big help for those who cant see what you see   ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 07:41:16 AM »
How do I interpret the "1 detected"? Oddly enough, the AV that detected is not AVAST, even though AVAST for mobile is flagging it as malware.
That detection is a false positive, unless the file is very new but then you should see more detecting it as days goes

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
Yeah, looks like a false positive. Send the file to Avast as a false positive from within their app. Also, you can choose to ignore the detection of that file until Avast corrects their signatures.

Offline soccerguy99

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »
Yeah, looks like a false positive. Send the file to Avast as a false positive from within their app. Also, you can choose to ignore the detection of that file until Avast corrects their signatures.

When it gets reported as a false positive, does avast investigate it? Or just take my word for it?

Thanks for the replies. Feeling less worried.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:35 PM »

When it gets reported as a false positive, does avast investigate it? Or just take my word for it?

No they won't just take your word for it.

It will be investigated and if found to be an FP then the virus signature would be corrected/modified.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline soccerguy99

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 03:00:20 PM »
Gotcha. Is this a paid feature?

It will be investigated and if found to be an FP then the virus signature would be corrected/modified.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm thinking of the Avast for Windows program and not Avast Mobile Security.
When the Reporting Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php - form is used.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline soccerguy99

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm thinking of the Avast for Windows program and not Avast Mobile Security.
When the Reporting Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php - form is used.

Is there someone from AVAST on this board that can be contacted? The mobile app doesn't seem to allow me to submit the report. Not sure if they monitor these boards. Cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 10:15:40 PM »
They do monitor the forums, possibly more so on the windows side of the forums.

You should be able to report it using the link I gave in my last reply.

I have tried to attract some Avast attention to this topic.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
@soccerguy99  Have you submitted a false positive form yet? https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
It may be a good idea to include a hyperlink to this forum thread for Avast staff to relate to.

Offline soccerguy99

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »
Hi rocksteady, yes I did thanks!

Offline soccerguy99

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »

@Simion and @Pondus I've sent a false positive report. In the meantime, is it common to see virus total report 1 out of 75 AVs showing malware? I've run it a few times over the past few days and the results have not changed. Rather than choose to ignore it for now, I've just shut down my phone now out of caution. Wondering if I'm being overly cautious. Also, could since I did a factory reset and the results have not changed, is it possible the malware is attached to my sim card and I could solve this be replacing the sim?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:05:13 PM by soccerguy99 »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
Avast seem to be lethargic getting onto this reported suspected False Positive. Waiting for Christmas?

I have not checked myself, but which 1/75 AV's is reported as detecting on virus total?
I suppose that is a stupid question and answer will be Avast!