Author Topic: How to stop Boot Scan ?  (Read 6444 times)

arbutus

How to stop Boot Scan ?
« on: January 22, 2004, 06:37:28 PM »
I am running WinXP pro with a HP USB multimedia keyboard. Since the last program update, whenever I boot Avast goes into boot scan and the keyboard won't let me exit the program. The program goes through the scan OK and starts windows normally - but I don't want to have to do this everytime I boot.
I understand there is an issue with avast and usb keyboards but I can't seem to find anywhere in the program to turn off the boot scan.

When I go to Schedule Boot Scan all I get is two buttons
Schedule and Cancel. When I press Schedule, the program gives a pop up message saying that it needs to reboot. There doesn't seem to be any where that indicates if boot scan is active or not.

Any help appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

arbutus

Re:How to stop Boot Scan ?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 08:03:14 PM »
Thanks for trying to help, but the posted solution doesn't work.
The solution states:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\Session Manager

on the right there will be a key labeled "BootExecute"  

Doubleclick that key and you should see at least the default value of "autocheck autochk *" which is scandisk.  Somewhere below that should be the path to avast (Alwil Software) with options (sorry I can't tell you what they would be or what the line will look like, bit i don't know however it should be obvious that it is avast) but anyway delete that entire line and you won't see it again.

However, all I get is "autocheck autochk *" and there is nothing below that line.

This has only started since the last program update on Jan 21

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 08:17:57 PM »
Well, that's rather strange... since this is the key that starts the boot-time scanner; it simply cannot be invoked any other way. So, if it's not there... it shouldn't be started.
Could you try to export the BootExecute key to a .reg file and check it in Notepad, for example? (If anything interesting is inside, don't delete the file, please.)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 09:50:01 PM »
This has only started since the last program update on Jan 21

Wait a moment, are you saying that you have not scheduled the boot-time scanner at all? That it somehow scheduled itself automatically during the update??

That would be extremely strange, I'd say...
I've never heard of anyone experiencing similar behavior.

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

arbutus

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 06:34:18 PM »
Sorry, I vanished for a couple of days but have been sweating it out with the flu.

I followed the advice above and looked in the registry but no line relating to Avast in there. Did not alter the registry in any way but when I rebooted the program did not go through the boot scan. However, I now get an error message that autocheck.exe can't be found.

I am new to Win XP and not that familiar with the registry
What is autocheck and how do I restore it?

Everything seems to work OK except when I cold boot, I do not have an internet connection until I reboot.