Author Topic: How to enable the Virus Alert Window?  (Read 3169 times)

donaldz

How to enable the Virus Alert Window?
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:34:56 AM »
I'm a new user of Avast! Chinese (Simplified) version.
I often need to download some viruses samples from some forum,but the Avast! often block them automatically without a warning window...I can't find the setting from the On-Access Protection Control...

When I disable the Web shield and the Network shield, I can download the files...But I still can't save it on the desktop...And in the avast! log viewer,I can find an Error in it.

But in the English Version,This problem is not existed...

:
Thanks a lot~~~
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:06:46 PM by donaldz »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to enable the Virus Alert Window?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »
Have you changed any settings in the Web Shield as I think you should still get an alert pop-up, but you would still not be able to download it as every time web shield would alert and stop it, if you had set it to 'Silent mode' (Customize.., Advanced) then you wouldn't get the alert it would just abort the connection.

So if you are downloading virus samples (a risky past time) you would need to Pause the Web Shield before downloading, you may then get an alert by the Standard Shield as that scans newly created or modified files, but that gives to option to take No Action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:19:42 PM »
It indeed sounds as if you enabled the "Silent mode" in Web Shield.
Disabling it, however, won't help you much - the download will not be blocked silently and you will see a "Virus found!" dialog, but you still won't be able to download the file it WebShield is active.
Regarding saving the file to desktop (or elsewhere), it's the Standard Shield detecting the infected files being written to disk.

If you often deal with viruses, you may create one folder on your disk and put it into the list of Standard Shield exclusions - but
1. it's dangerous, because you may activate the file by mistake
2. if your browser performs some speculative download (getting the file before you tell it the exact location to store it), or if it downloads the files somewhere else first (cache), you'll get the warning anyway.

Simply said, avast! resident protection doesn't like when you deal with viruses.

donaldz

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »
Thank you all  for the help:)

I  had set it to 'Silent mode'  ;D ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 06:12:42 PM »
Glad that we could help, welcome to the forum.

I trust that you are sending these samples to virus @ avast.com in a password protected zip file (with password in the body of the email), if avast doesn't detect them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

donaldz

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:27:55 PM »
 ;DThat's right~~
I've sent 3 samples to virus@avast.com

My English is poor... ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
Your English is good.