Author Topic: ever since last update, AvastUI keeps breaking focus window  (Read 3551 times)

Offline jaymdoc

Re: ever since last update, AvastUI keeps breaking focus window
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 08:19:12 AM »
1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
The link doesn't work but I'll hunt it down.. I don't see why that'd work when repairing didn't.. but..

Wasn't working in chrome, but I went to the main site and downloaded a new installer, went through it all.  I'm not noticing focus stealing so maybe just some junk got left over in the last updating process was causing AvastUI to keep trying to pop up.  I'll try running the focus logger for a little while and see if it crops up again.

Both links work for me (using firefox browser), what issues are you getting ?

A Repair may not work, that is a first step, if it works great. 
If not complete removal could resolve problems outside of the Repair function.

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
Hello, I'm really sorry for this issue. Could someone please share logs and times when it happened? What I need:
1. turn on debug logs (settings->general->troubleshooting->Enable debug logging)
2. observe when it happen again (make notes when exactly it was)
3. copy folder c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\ into a temp folder and pack it (important are: avastui.log, avastsvc.log and HtmlRemoteContent.log)
4. send logs and times when it happen to petr.blatny@avast.com
Thank you very much
Petr

Offline jaymdoc

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 02:21:14 AM »
so far it seems like a complete removal and fresh install fixed it.  AvastUI is no longer stealing focus that I've seen.
it might be that past problems similar to this were the same issue... a problem with an automatic update that doesn't clean up everything that needs to be cleaned up in AvastUI.. so AvastUI tries to start another process for some reason I think, then immediately closes.

Offline annasender

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
I've experienced the same thing since the update.  Past 2 days it's been interrupting my playing of World of Warcraft and well as interfering with typing.

I did a complete removal and reinstall and it seems fixed.