Author Topic: Windows 2000 login problem  (Read 5043 times)

dazza1610

Windows 2000 login problem
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
Hi folks, I wonder if someone could give me some help.

I have installed a demo version of Avast Server on my windows 2000 server, when I rebooted it did the scan at dos level then found lots of worms/viruses etc so i told it to move them to the chest, now when it boots it goes to the login screen, i put in my password then it says it's loading the personal settings then it reverts back to the login screen.

If i can get it to boot to the dos level, is there any way I canrestore the chest and files to their original locations? so i can do a scan again ?

or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanx!
Darren
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:20:33 AM by dazza1610 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 2000 login problem
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
If i can get it to boot to the dos level, is there any way I canrestore the chest and files to their original locations? so i can do a scan again ?
Darren, sometimes this is due to sending to Chest important (necessary) files to boot and login (pagefile.sys, when missed, could make that behavior of logging and coming back, but I think the pagefile.sys is too big to be moved to Chest, some other system file is missing).

I have installed a demo version of Avast Server on my windows 2000 server, when I rebooted it did the scan at dos level then found lots of worms/viruses etc so i told it to move them to the chest, now when it boots it goes to the login screen, i put in my password then it says it's loading the personal settings then it reverts back to the login screen.
Can you boot in Safe Mode?
Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 2000 login problem
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
Another sad example of an user that ask for help and never comes back... it's a pity, it's a shame  :P
The best things in life are free.