Author Topic: ADMIN: PMs disabled  (Read 30243 times)

kubecj

ADMIN: PMs disabled
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »
Hello,

it was decided that the PMs will be completely disabled.

Currently I disabled the sending, in a week or two I will also disable reading, so please backup important messages you've got there somehow, since they'll be otherwise inaccesible.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ADMIN: PMs disabled
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:24:35 PM »
Kubecj, with all respect to your decision. But I think this is a radical option and there will be other options to do so.
IM is a good instrument for the forum. I hope this won't have an even worse impact than closing the Off Topic forum.
Again, my opinion only. I think a little of cold water won't be bad before taking this decision.
That seems to be precisely the intention of the spammer and the others that put on Alwil the responsability of it: damage avast image, damage avast forum image.
Please, reconsider.
The best things in life are free.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:25:47 PM »
Hello kubecj,

Can I ask whats the reason for this decision? I know for the last spam PMs, but I don't think that this is a reason for completely disabling the PMs. (this is only my opinion) I mean, the PMs are really useful feature and I am pretty sure that the others will think the same way.

Isn't the restriction for 20 posts enough?   :-\

EDIT Tech was faster than me  :)

Please, reconsider.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:27:36 PM by .:XMAS:. »
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »
A decent spammer can generate 20 (or 2,000 you name it) posts in no time.

This is a temporary solution before the situation calms down. You only see the tip of the iceberg - but our support department is swamped with angry people who got offended by the spam and this is the decision that was made by our CEO.

Hopefully, in a week or so, we find an alternative (but still reliable) solution to the problem and will be able to re-enable PM's.

This is very frustrating for all - but it's simply unacceptable to risk another spam attack now.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

markofkane

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:31:04 PM »
My opinion:

Those who want to disable PM's can, with the * in their blocked senders list. No more PM's.

However, those that are willing to put up with the spam to continue using the PM function should be able to.

Just my opinion. The decision, is of course left up to the adminstrator.  ;)

Thanks for this forum. ;D

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »

Thanks for taking the steps needed to stop such spam on the forum. It is unfortunate that PMs will have to be disabled and I hope all others here will understand why this is necessary.    :'(

Before PMs were disabled, someone sent me one asking why all this spam. Of course, I really do not know. But, there could be many reasons and among those ... a grudge against awil, an attempt at forcing a forum program update, a general attempt to make others suffer, just plain old stupidity, etc.    >:(

I am glad to say that most members of this forum are very good people. This forum is one of the very few I have always be proud of being a small part.    :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
This is a temporary solution before the situation calms down. You only see the tip of the iceberg - but our support department is swamped with angry people who got offended by the spam and this is the decision that was made by our CEO.
Ok. We respect it.

Hopefully, in a week or so, we find an alternative (but still reliable) solution to the problem and will be able to re-enable PM's.
This is very frustrating for all - but it's simply unacceptable to risk another spam attack now.
Thanks  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:45:47 PM »
A decent spammer can generate 20 (or 2,000 you name it) posts in no time.

Thanks
Vlk
OK, thanks for the answer Vlk. Hopefully you'll find a solution soon  :-\
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »
In my opinion disabling PM's is not needed to stop the spam, make rules when sending PM's such as each user can only send 1 PM every 90 seconds. This will slow down the spam bots a lot. There is no need to disable PM's completely, but this is just my opinion.

mauserme

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:33:11 PM »
Currently I disabled the sending, in a week or two I will also disable reading ...

Hopefully, in a week or so, we find an alternative ...

I'm confused.

Marmot

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 07:12:59 PM »
*Glancing at the number of posts about the same topic,* there are tons of tips of iceberg in this forum enough for inducing the current status of Alwil...  :P

I am a new comer, who are rarely affected from the decision but old members have already warned about the situation in a thread.  Hopefully, the moderators will make up to the rather slow move at the stat of this confusion.  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
In my opinion disabling PM's is not needed to stop the spam, make rules when sending PM's such as each user can only send 1 PM every 90 seconds.

We're open to any (realistic) suggestions. But they must be realistic - meaning that the forum software (SMF) has to support them. Are you sure something like this is supported?

I'm confused.

So are we. Sorry :-\

We're thinking of disabling the "email" part of IM's by default (i.e. this would be opt-in rather than opt-out). This should make the feature unattractive enough for most spammers.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:26 PM »
We're thinking of disabling the "email" part of IM's by default (i.e. this would be opt-in rather than opt-out). This should make the feature unattractive enough for most spammers.
Vlk,
Is this to be done in lieu of disabling PM's?
If that's the case, that would be a great solution since the fact that there is a message waiting is always displayed
each time you visit the forum.
What still disturbs me is the fact that someone who isn't part of management was able to get  to the members email addresses.
That's the part of this whole intrusion that needs to be remedied. If it happened once, it's going to happen again.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 07:48:20 PM »
I don't know if the attraction is the fact that PM posts will be notified by email or the fact that they have been able to hit so many PMs in a short period of time.

Yes the no email by default would be a good option unless you opt-in, allied with the No PMs for users with less than X posts llama/newbie, etc. and the double step registration before they can become a member. With these three restrictions PMs would still be workable for members but unattractive to spammers.

The two step registration and guests only having read only access, should also limit the drive by forum posting that we have also seen recently.

I don't know if IPs can/should also be recorded at registration as a form of deterrent.

PMs are an important function and I would hate to see them disappear or become unworkable. Many have now chosen to hide their email address in their profile settings (quite rightly), to avoid harvesting by bots scanning the publicly available forum pages, so with no email address you are forced to use PMs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 08:01:49 PM »
What still disturbs me is the fact that someone who isn't part of management was able to get  to the members email addresses.

Well, what does it mean "to get to the members e-mail"? They didn't learn these e-mails, of course. But if your settings say that the forum should send you the notifications about received PMs, you'll get the message, yes.