Author Topic: Google results "hacked" by ads  (Read 1710 times)

Offline andreagrasso77

Google results "hacked" by ads
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:55:27 AM »
Since today I am experience a strange behaviour when I try to research something on Google:

for one or two seconds, I see the classical results (the ones that I received regularly until yesterday), then they disappear and another different screen of results is shown, where the first results are ads or anyway are not the "real" first results; the "true" results (the main ones) appear only after 5 or 6 "false" results, and some of them don't appear at all (just like the Google main box that shows the lyrics of a song and the youtube/streaming links).

Thinking about some spyware, I ran Spybot search&destroy, that actually found some stuff and deleted it, but nothing changed. Then I tried the same researches with Chrome browser and all went regularly, as always, so it's a problem only related to this Avast browser.

What can be the reason and how I can solve it?

I am attaching two screenshots: the first shows the classical results that only appear for 1/2 seconds, the second shows the results that appear after that.

Offline Jakub171

• Avast team
Re: Google results "hacked" by ads
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 02:29:32 PM »
Hello
Since you have already found some spyware on your machine before, I cannot tell, if these aren't changes caused by it. I would at least consider clean reinstalling of ASB. In case that will not fix the problem, please, let me know so we can take a deeper look at the problem.

Offline andreagrasso77

Re: Google results "hacked" by ads
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
I solved just with reset & clean up, thanks.