Author Topic: Sending Pics causes warning sound  (Read 7217 times)

mauserme

Re: Sending Pics causes warning sound
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
I think you should try scanning one of the emailed files at Jotti

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm at a loss as to what avast might be finding suspicious, I don't know what Partial Message Danger! might mean, to me partial could mean either the body of the email or anything for that matter.

What is the sensitivity in The Internet Mail provider and in the Heuristic Tab ?

You could progressively lower the Heuristic sensitivity from High, Medium and Low, etc. You will notice with each lowering of the sensitivity that less options are checked, at each lowering of the sensitivity try sending the email again until hopefully it is successful. So by elimination something in the list of checked options not present that is the one or ones to concentrate on.

You could also set the Heuristic sensitivity to Custom, that allows access to other more detailed options, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

annemtt

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:10:21 AM »
Well David, this time I have good news and bad news!   The good news is that I first went to Heuristics and set it to Custom and then ticked off the block that said "Attachment check (according to name) and sent out the so called "trouble" pics again, and they went out fine.  The bad news is that when I got home (I sent them to my email) I was the one getting the "siren" message from avast saying attention, potential infection and I had to keep hitting continue in order for the pics to come in.  Now I'm wondering: by changing the Heuristics to custom, the Internet Mail is now on custom and not on HIGH as mine is.  Is AVAST still safe in protecting her computer?  Is it not checking as many things as it would by having it on high.  Please let me know.  Right now my friend is estatic to be rid of the "siren" and to know that her pics are going out ok.  I'm not sure if the people she is sending them to will be able to get them or not.  I'll have to get her to check that.  I know other times they got the email but no pic there to look at.  So the problem seems to be in a setting somewhere.  I'll let you know if others can open her email.  Thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 12:52:01 AM »
It will still have a High categorisation as you haven't changed any of the other functionality only the Heuristic settings, you should notice the List of Items checked to the right of the sensitivity slider still shows the same list as it was with High.

Did you get more than one image or just the malformed attachment name ?
It is likely that this malformed name is the cause, but I have no idea why it is happening.
What software are you using to save your digital camera images to your hdd ?
You might want to thing about using a different option or convert using a freeware program called irfanview.

I use Outlook Express and no problems sending images, but something you might want to check, Tools, Options, Security, uncheck the Do not allow attachments to be saved that could potentially be a virus. You would be surprised what MS think is a potential virus file type and see if that has any effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

annemtt

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 03:42:12 AM »
Hi David.  Well I hope this will be the "end" of this problem.  What I did was change the Heuristic Settings on my computer to match her, and everything is GREAT  :) now - on her end and on my end so I'm going to leave it as is.  But to answer your other questions, I was only getting one image.  The software was the one that came with the camera which is a HP Photosmart 612. I did hear about Infranview and that's a possibility but right now everything seems to be working great.  The "security" under tools etc. was already unchecked.  So I just want to thank you sincerely for all your help (and others who replied) and to say I'm a happy camper once again.  This forum is an excellent one and I was fortunate enough to have you "stick with me" on this problem.  My sincere thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »
Your welcome, though it would have been nice to find the true cause rather than mask the symptom.