Author Topic: Updating problem  (Read 5793 times)

Sarah-E

Updating problem
« on: October 14, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
Hey, just joined to see if any of ya can fix my problem.  Had avast for a while and have had no trouble updating but now, over the past 24 hours I've run into problems.  I get the Windows security thing popping up sayin avast reports it might be out of date, sure, fine, i go to update it but after about 2 mins of it saying it's trying to download the file 'servers.def.vpu' it comes up with an error saying it cant find the file specified.  Now this is for both the Program and the Virus bit, it just doesn't want to work. I've tried pratting about with the connection preferences and settings and now im stuck.

If anyone can help me i'll be grateful.

Here are some things you might want to know

Using dial-up (56k)
At uni so going through uni proxy rubbish but I have that set to automatically detect from IE
Tried checking and un-checking 'always connected' and 'dial-up modem'  (currently got them both unchecked'

I'm just stuck
Please help
Sarah-E

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updating problem
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

That should replace any missing avast files on the HDD.

Rather than have the auto detect it you might want to try setting the proxy manually as it has been known in the past for the auto detect if you haven't got the proxy set in IE that sometimes it fails.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sarah-E

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply.  I've 'repaired' it but it still doesn't want to work.  The IE settings for the proxy are correct and I've never had trouble like this before with it so technically it should work.  I've even been to the home page of avast and d/l the update from there and even that wont work!!  Comes up with a silly error. I'm gettin real annoyed with it cos im quite good with computers and I just can think of anything but removing it and re-installing the program

Sarah-E

Marmot

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:51:51 PM »
First, David is sure one of the best advisors here so it would be probably good for you to ignore mine if he replies.  ;)

The file size of the update may happen to be too large for your connection setting.  Did you check your connection time limit for example?

Alternatively, you may like try the latest update here and see if things will change.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »
We are in the Windows monthly update week again (I did not get my updates until last night).  I am still confident that the Windows update process is causing problems to avast auto-update for some avast users when there are Windows updates to be downloaded.

Please see this post - I would suggest that you try delaying the automatic update by modifying the avast4.ini file proposed there.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23298.msg192385#msg192385

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
If the repair didn't work basically it is confirming there is something else in the mix.

I too am a dial-up user and I would advise you keep that option ticked otherwise avast autoupdate may be trying to check for an update whilst you don't have a connection established. As a dial-up user I would also suggest you have the auto update set to check and 'Ask' rather than download automatically, this ensures it doesn't interfere.

Have you tried to see if it works on a manual update ?

If the above doesn't resolve it a re-install is probably the least time consuming option,  uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

@ Alan
The delay update in avast4.ini doesn't work for dial-up connections, certainly not mine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Marmot

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
Hmmm, just out of curiosity, what was your exact setting?

For shep1549 seems to have been successful with the setting of 120!
I had to set the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 for the problem to be solved.  Now I have no errors.  Thanks for the hint about the log file.
Also, Sarah-E says "after about 2 mins"…  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »
The difference being Shep isn't using a dial-up connection so for him the delay would have an effect.

How do you set the Update (Connections) tab of settings?
My computer is permanently connected to the internet is checked.
<snip>

I have no idea what Sarah-E's connection is but I would suspect broadband/direct connection.

Marmot

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 05:52:40 PM »
The difference being Shep isn't using a dial-up connection so for him the delay would have an effect.

I see.

How do you set the Update (Connections) tab of settings?
My computer is permanently connected to the internet is checked.
<snip>

I have no idea what Sarah-E's connection is but I would suspect broadband/direct connection.

You two seem to be on the same boat. 

Using dial-up (56k)

DavidR, you must have been tired or help too many people once a day.  ;D
Honestly, I cannot do what some people such as you and alanrf have been are doing here.  Hope your efforts will help Sarah-E, too.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »
I don't mind helping people to get the best out of avast.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Sarah-E's or can't recall her post, as you say we see quite a few posts in a day

Sarah-E

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
Ok, thanks for everybody's help on this btw.  I have some sort of news, dont reckon its good tho

I'm on 56k dial-up and i d/c to use my phone and got...for the first time ever...a red pop-up box saying that there was a problem updating because avast couldnt connect to the server.  I re-connected to it and left it on, for ages.  Nothing has happened since, i have 'dial-up' box checked, i have my proxy correct in IE so that part is right, i have changed updates to manual and now when i click the avast icon in the tray on my desktop and go to update, it wont do anything! I get no screen, no nothing!

I don't know if altering the time thing in the code will work either if it has anything to do with how long you're connected for, cos the idiots at my uni cause the connection to be terminated every hour or so.

Sarah-E

Sarah-E

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 11:20:10 PM »
Ok. it wouldnt bring up a screen cos it was trying to do it itself by the looks of things, cos i got another red box saying it wouldnt work and then i got all my screens up for when i clicked on the updates myself.  so, yeah, BUMS!  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 12:18:14 AM »
If you have established a connection and tried a Manual update if that didn't work ?

I would suggest you manually enter the Proxy details in the Program Settings Update (Connections) as I first mentioned, that way there is no element of doubt as to if it correctly detecting/capturing the IE proxy.

What is in the avast Log Viewer (right click avast icon), Error, Warning or Notice section about the VPS update.

Sarah-E

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 09:35:36 PM »
in the log i have loads of warning messages from when i've tried to update saying
'Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed Return code..." and a load of numbers. 

I'm gonna try typing in the proxy, the only problem is, is that in my IE settings i have automatic configuration script filled in but no proxy and therefore no port.  but if i try avast with no proxy, it doesnt work either.
 :s

Sarah-E

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
Well that auto configuration script could be the problem, if you can't see the proxy or Port settings in IE (see image) neither can avast if it is looking at the proxy information used by IE. I think you will have to ask the Uni IT department for the proxy address and port information.

The automatic configuration script may also include the username and password that you need to connect to the Uni proxy, that would also need to be entered in the proxy server settings, authentication.