Author Topic: Anyone heres avast slow lately?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline cheater87

Anyone heres avast slow lately?
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:36:43 AM »
Mine is it takes 6 seconds for the settings menu to come down and longer to close.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Anyone heres avast slow lately?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »
Both are sub-second for me.

Later edit:

I just checked on my 7 year old system ... still the same sub-second response.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:15:54 AM by alanrf »

iano39

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:24:05 AM »
Not slow as you describe, but my PC in general is slow after upgrading this week (using auto-update) to the latest release (I was happily running the previous one).

Opening files and folders, even the Start menu, is suddenly really sluggish, though Avast isn't showing any particular CPU over-use or anything like this.

This has happened to me before I think.  Another update destroyed Windows altogether last year, though when I rebuilt my system and installed that version again I was fine.  I am losing faith in the incremental update method and am at this moment downloading (painfully via modem) the new setup file so I can remove and re-install Avast.

By the way, it isn't good to suddenly run a PC for a (short, believe me!) period with no AV installed - apart from the obvious reason - as it makes you (well, me anyway) sick to realise just how much the performance drops with AV running, even at the best of times. It's like someone just added a whole bunch of mb/sec to to my hard drive!  Ouch!   I did have to do this to prove to myself that it really was Avast that was suddenly slow.   It is/was!!

I'm annoyed at all this and especially at myself.  Let me remind myself here in public and also remind others;  backup your system often and especially before updating or changing fundamental components like Avast.   These things can really screw up on you!

Hopefully in a half hour I'll be running smootly again, if not I'll be back asking what the heck they did in the new release!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:37:27 AM by iano39 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:56:02 AM »
Opening files and folders, even the Start menu, is suddenly really sluggish, though Avast isn't showing any particular CPU over-use or anything like this.
Well... the only chance to help solving this is trying to find other programs interactions.
Only a virus database update can't slow the computer... there is no reason for that.
Which sensibility level of Standard Shield are you using? High or Normal?

Another update destroyed Windows altogether last year
avast update?  ::) ??? :o

I am losing faith in the incremental update method and am at this moment downloading (painfully via modem) the new setup file so I can remove and re-install Avast.
Yeah, you're losing a very good feature of avast. I always use it without that pain... maybe we can help you on this but we need to know more about your specific problems.

Backup your system often and especially before updating or changing fundamental components like Avast.
Sure it's good to backup... but do you really thing is that painful just an avast update?
The best things in life are free.

iano39

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:04:30 AM »
Tech, thanks for that and I am sorry to have not been clear.  I am referring to the incremental update of the program, not virus defs.   I update definitions daily by auto, but prog update is set to manual and only now and then do I click to see if there's an update there.  It usually does this with about a 1mb download and a reboot.  As I said, this time around, the system has slowed a lot with the update applied and I'm about to do a clean install of the newest release and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:26 AM »
I update definitions daily by auto, but prog update is set to manual and only now and then do I click to see if there's an update there.
It's not bad to do this... But, maybe I'm lucky, but the incremental update of the program works for me like a charm...

It usually does this with about a 1mb download and a reboot.  As I said, this time around, the system has slowed a lot with the update applied and I'm about to do a clean install of the newest release and see if that helps.
This could happen indeed if something is messed, some programs interactions corrupt the installation, etc.
Only trying to solve a real problem will say... Next time, maybe you can post here what happens  :)

iano39

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 04:26:04 AM »
Happy to say that a clean install of Avast fixed the problems I was having and my system is fast again.

I don't know why I am unlucky with the program updates.  There was no actual error or failure to diagnose from, just dreadful performance.  Now it is normal.  Go figure!

I have also just changed some things from before, such as enabling the transparent web proxy as I only have the free Zone Alarm.  This has solved several obscure problems I was having with Live Messenger etc, so I'm in a good mood.  I thought this latest Avast release was supposed to tell the difference between free and pro Zone Alarm, by the way, but never mind!

My only regret is at having to recreate my long list of blocked URLs.

Anyway, all is well and I'm in love with life and Avast again!! LOL

Thanks again, sorry to take up space with this really.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:36:34 PM »
My only regret is at having to recreate my long list of blocked URLs.
Really, this is not a task to avast WebShield... but to a firewall, or a personal set of IP to PeerGuardian (http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/).

Anyway, all is well and I'm in love with life and Avast again!! LOL
We're happy with you too  8)