Author Topic: Question about results  (Read 3041 times)

apostolis

Question about results
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:13:51 PM »
hi!, i am a new avast! user and i have one (of many) question:
when i perform the avast! quick scan to a ms-excel file for example, when i get the final statistics, i get :
number of checked files :5 or in other cases 7 and so on.
why this number is not 1? after all i asked to check one file. which are the rest files?
thank you for your time!

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Question about results
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »
Hello and welcome  :)

Excel (.XLS) files are typical OLE documents, if I am not wrong - such are and .DOC, .PPT, ...
These files are somekind of archives files which contain other files - so avast! just unpack the OLE document and scans the files which are inside the document, that's why on the results you get more than one scanned file ( the file you are scanning contains other files) ;)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Littlemutt

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »
I am having a hard time getting an understanding of Avast!.  I tried to scan an excel file with right-click and using 'scan ..  Something happens real quickly, a windows opens/closes and I can't find any results in log viewer ..

Where do I see the results?   I feel really dumb..

EDIT: Never mind.. I figured it out..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:19:36 PM by Littlemutt »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »
Since the quick scan is designed to be quick, it doesn't display results if no infection is found, if an infection is found, all hell will break loose and you will know.

You need to enable the results, Program settings, Common, Show results of Explorer Extension.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:28:37 PM »
it's usually caused by compressed/packed files and counts included scripts (macros) etc ...

but for precise answer ask someone from Alwil ...

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:49:33 PM »
This was dicussed at length in another thread recently.  Not only does the scan give a multiple file count it also reports the scanned size as about double the real file size.   The answer from Alwil was to the effect:

That's just the way it is and how it should be ... what's the problem?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:09:48 PM »
I hope I wrote "how it's meant to be", not "how it should be" (I don't dare to judge that ;)).
But yes, the number in the final statistics window is the number of scanned "objects" - where one file may consist of many objects if avast! handles it like an archive. The size is, of course, consistent - i.e. it sums the sizes of these objects.

apostolis

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »
thank you all for your replies!