Author Topic: High RAM usage  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
High RAM usage
« on: December 08, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
Hi,
checking my statistics I notice that it uses a lot of RAM.
Are there plans to relax a version that reduces RAM usage?

Thanks.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: High RAM usage
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
What is a lot of RAM an how much RAM do you have ?
As you give zero information to work with.  When seeking help it helps to give information on the avast version, Operating System and in this case RAM and possibly CPU.

You may have noticed that many regulars on the forums have a signature below their posts, a signature below your posts helps us to help you and you don't have to give that information in subsequent requests for help or information.

I simply don't see this excess RAM usage - see attached image.

What are you doing when you see this ?
Avast is an on-access (resident) antivirus which scans activity on your system, the more activity going on the more active the AV will be RAM and CPU).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
What is a lot of RAM an how much RAM do you have ?
As you give zero information to work with.  When seeking help it helps to give information on the avast version, Operating System and in this case RAM and possibly CPU.

You may have noticed that many regulars on the forums have a signature below their posts, a signature below your posts helps us to help you and you don't have to give that information in subsequent requests for help or information.

I simply don't see this excess RAM usage - see attached image.

What are you doing when you see this ?
Avast is an on-access (resident) antivirus which scans activity on your system, the more activity going on the more active the AV will be RAM and CPU).

Hi DaviR,
thanks for your info, but as you can see, I entered the discussion in the Avast Mobile section and so I was referring to the mobile app for Android. I am not referring to the application for Windows. Avast Free on Windows is excellent as I use RAM, even to me Avast Free on Windows 10 does not cause me any problems for the use of RAM. :)

I was referring to Avast Mobile Security Free, which in my opinion uses a little too much memory, at least in my smartphone (see attachment).

For the signature I welcome your feedback and I will add the features of my devices so as to give more information to each of my posts. ;)

Thanks. :)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »
Sorry I didn't notice that this was in the Avast Mobile Security sub-forum.

Checking mine on a relatively old HUAWEI Nexus 6P, which is still on Android 8.1.0 (no further updates available) and I can't find the screen that you displayed.  Certainly not regarding RAM only Storage.

Storage on my phone has only 32GB and no micro SD card expandability possibility (RAM is 3GB). 

So I do keep my APPs under control.  Now That is storage and not RAM. The only screen that I find close to yours is the Storage - Apps storage.

Avast Mobile Security is only 12th on the list of Storage and then it is only 176MB.
That breaks down to App Size 54.06MB - User Data 27.48MB - Cache 94.13MB.
The last two can be cleared, Clearing the cache brings it down to 81.54MB, taking AMS down to 22nd in the list..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Sorry I didn't notice that this was in the Avast Mobile Security sub-forum.

Checking mine on a relatively old HUAWEI Nexus 6P, which is still on Android 8.1.0 (no further updates available) and I can't find the screen that you displayed.  Certainly not regarding RAM only Storage.

Storage on my phone has only 32GB and no micro SD card expandability possibility (RAM is 3GB). 

So I do keep my APPs under control.  Now That is storage and not RAM. The only screen that I find close to yours is the Storage - Apps storage.

Avast Mobile Security is only 12th on the list of Storage and then it is only 176MB.
That breaks down to App Size 54.06MB - User Data 27.48MB - Cache 94.13MB.
The last two can be cleared, Clearing the cache brings it down to 81.54MB, taking AMS down to 22nd in the list..

OK thanks.

Mine has 2 GB of RAM version Androi 8.1.0 and probably struggles a bit despite not having many apps installed. Anyways I hope for a release that further optimizes the app and in any case I will soon change my smartphone too.
However, I am very comfortable with the Avast Mobile Security Free app, and it is the only one that starts automatically after restarting or turning on the smartphone. I've tried them all but only Avast works well.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline betterSafe

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
hey,

how does the high use of RAM affect your phone. I don't mean what this usually does, but what was the problem for you? How did you get to check Avast RAM usage in the first place?
Sitzenbleiben schützt allerdings gegen die Gefahr zu fallen.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:31:49 PM »
hey,

how does the high use of RAM affect your phone. I don't mean what this usually does, but what was the problem for you? How did you get to check Avast RAM usage in the first place?

In my android smartphone version 8.1.0 model VFD 720 (Vodafone brand) in the Smart Manager in memory use I see what is posted as an attachment and sometimes the notification "Avast is consuming high energy" appears. This happened in a ranomic way and at that moment the phone slowed down.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline lukas7891

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 06:27:05 PM »
Hi,

not sure if you solved this issue already but do you mean the App Avast itself uses a lot of RAM or generally your phone?
Because for me just using the RAM accelerate button in the APP (it that is what it is called in the english version) helps me to boost my phone immensly.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
Hi,

not sure if you solved this issue already but do you mean the App Avast itself uses a lot of RAM or generally your phone?
Because for me just using the RAM accelerate button in the APP (it that is what it is called in the english version) helps me to boost my phone immensly.

The Avast app uses a lot of RAM in my smartphone.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline lukas7891

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »
As my phone is in German I am not sure what the button is called. But if you go to the setting where it shows all the apps and then click on Avast, there should be an option to "forcefully"(?) stop it. This usually helps. Or check if you enabled it to work in the background. If yes, disable it and maybe that will help

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
As my phone is in German I am not sure what the button is called. But if you go to the setting where it shows all the apps and then click on Avast, there should be an option to "forcefully"(?) stop it. This usually helps. Or check if you enabled it to work in the background. If yes, disable it and maybe that will help

Thanks! 😉👍
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline lukas7891

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
Sure, you are welcome!  8)