Author Topic: A minor bug  (Read 5357 times)

faffy

A minor bug
« on: March 05, 2004, 04:58:06 PM »
Hi!
I have just installed avast! and have to tell you that I like the program very much. I was sold on the PUSH! update technology. I think it is a very good idea. I have been testing the program for 2 days now.  I have found a minor bug.

I tested the SMTP alert. I tried to send a test message but my smtp server timed out. avast! produced a pop-up window that was wider than my screen. The message in it was too long. See attached image. The screen capture covers the whole width of my screen.

Faffy

-- Edit:

I can't seem to be able to attach a simple jpg image to my message. I put the picture on my webserver instead. Here is the link:http://cellbank.mtc.ki.se/screen.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 05:04:02 PM by faffy »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:A minor bug
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »
See attached image.
no image was attached please repost that image
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 04:22:05 AM »
Are you connected with the same server of your email?
I mean, the smpt server configured to send the email is the same of your ISP?
If not, you must wait a little. Nowadays, avast! does not support smtp authentication... I know, this is written in the iNews but still can't be configurated for that :P
The best things in life are free.

faffy

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 05:13:43 AM »
You misunderstood me. I did not complain about my smtp server. It just happened that it timed out. My problem was that the message that avast! gave did not fit on my screen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 12:40:46 PM »
You misunderstood me. I did not complain about my smtp server. It just happened that it timed out. My problem was that the message that avast! gave did not fit on my screen.

Sorry...  :-\
About the timeout? What is your setting for this into avast?

If it is just about the size of the pop up window, oh... then the programmers should answer something  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 01:31:26 PM »
I would say its skins fault. I see you don't have the default one (Blue) so it might be that skin cannot show correctly so long messages. Switch to default Blue skin and see if this error accours again.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

faffy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 02:31:39 PM »
I would say its skins fault. I see you don't have the default one (Blue) so it might be that skin cannot show correctly so long messages. Switch to default Blue skin and see if this error accours again.

I think you are right. I used thed Red Circle skin.  It is difficult to duplicate the problem with another skin, because I can't make my smtp server time out again ;).

I think it would still be better to have this long message in two lines, so there would be no problem with skins in the future.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 03:04:43 PM »
Totally nothing to do with skins. I can see you are using one of Martin's skins. When I make skins, there is really no option where we can control how wide those screens (windows) has to be... that's code issue... I had almost same problem with wideness of my Settings windows in avast! I reported that problem to Alwil guys, they fixed it and in very next program update problem was gonne. Problem was fixed in about less than 5 days...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 11:12:07 PM by S.Z.Craftec »