Author Topic: settings for Juno email  (Read 18411 times)

Liz

settings for Juno email
« on: January 26, 2004, 12:52:34 AM »
Hi, I'm a brand new user, just installed Avast and I use Juno email. I did a search on this site and at least I did find posts that said this virus program CAN be used with Juno.  I've read the info in the Avast program about configuring for various email accounts, but it's all completely Greek to me, help, I'm totally lost. I don't have a clue, for instance, what SMTP/POP/IMAP protocols are, or any other that other stuff  :o  Also there is a dial up connection box that popped up asking for my user name and password.  It filled in a strange user name for me.  I remember reading something about having to change your username for your email program if you configure manually.  What do I do with this dialog box?

thanks,
Liz

Also, the requirements for using this program said "PC 486".  I have a Dell 350.  I seem to remember there were very old computers (before mine) that were 486's?? or is my computer speed too slow? (The program seems to be working, and so far I'm surfing the net faster than I did with McAfee).

Culpeper

Re:settings for Juno email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 01:10:07 AM »
Juno email is an extension of web based email and thus you will be unable to make the necessary set up possible with Avast email scanner unless you are able to check your Juno email through Outlook Express and so forth.

You're okay with the Dell and Avast working together.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:11:15 AM by Culpeper »

gmb

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 05:14:42 PM »
I am trying to configure JUNO email with Avast .  NOT HAVING ANY LUCK.  I keep getting popup mesages in OE  (ox800CCC18 and 0x800cc90)that I cant log on due to server error.  I'm using a POP3 incoming.  I think all is set up according to your mail wizard but Juno and Avast will not synch.  OE worked fine prior to Installation.  I think I need a little tweek....but just cant figure it out.  Possible on the JUNO side ?????   You tell me.  Thanks

Very Frustrated GMB

:(

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 06:36:41 PM »
I don't know.  Try changing the incoming port number for OE.

Liz

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 10:45:41 PM »

Hi GMB,

When I sent a mail to Juno asking them to provide me with the server addresses that I would need in order to configure Avast with Juno email, this is what they sent back:

"We certainly understand your concern about computer viruses. Please note that we
donot provide Juno's POP and SMTP mail server addresses. This is done to prevent
the transmission of spam."

Without these addresses I was never able to set up Avast to scan email.  I now have the part of Avast that deals with scanning email turned off (unchecked).  It was explained to me that if I got a virus through email Avast would catch the virus after the fact, and I am very careful about opening attachments.  

Liz

I am trying to configure JUNO email with Avast .  NOT HAVING ANY LUCK.  I keep getting popup mesages in OE  (ox800CCC18 and 0x800cc90)that I cant log on due to server error.  I'm using a POP3 incoming.  I think all is set up according to your mail wizard but Juno and Avast will not synch.  OE worked fine prior to Installation.  I think I need a little tweek....but just cant figure it out.  Possible on the JUNO side ?????   You tell me.  Thanks

Very Frustrated GMB

:(

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 10:53:38 PM »
Yes, Juno is apparently still webmail.

gmb

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 11:15:10 PM »
Liz,

Thanks for your insight.  I guess I cant scan the incoming (hope there is no scud in the future).  If I uncheck all email scans.....I'm assuming I s/b able to logon to Juno's Pop/SMPT.  I think the attachments are where the most vulnerability lies.....dont you?  Therefore......is the proper/adequate protection there.  Anybody jump in here.

Liz

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
I just realized something, you must be talking about Outlook Express when you you said OE? (I was thinking IE, Internet Explorer).  So are you saying you have previously been able to use Outlook express with your Juno internet connection?

I ask because although I know this is possible, if you have the server addresses, I was told by Juno techs that Juno does not allow people to use Outlook Express. I think this is because this would keep people from receiving all the ads in Juno's own email program.  I'm just curious how you got server addresses in the first place to use OE?

Also,  I don't even know what a scud is (some kind of virus?).  I don't feel really good about not having my email scanned automatically (Juno email was scanned with McAfee).  A friend sent me a virus a few years ago in an email, because her McAfee was not up to date.  Mine was, but the virus still took my computer down.

Liz

Liz

gmb

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 02:10:26 AM »
Liz

I have used Outlook Express (OE) from the beginning when I signed on Juno.  Its really easy to configure.  In fact, you can get the directions off of Juno's email support page.  I like using the OE format because it sync's good with any work related stuff I want to do and send.  I'm still not convinced yet that JUNO cant be scanned by AVAST.  Your Incoming server would be:  POP.JUNO.COM and your SMPT would be : SMPT.JUNO.COM.  Use these when config. OE.  Go to Tools, Accounts, MAil, Properties.  Let me know how it goes.  I would NEVER go back to their Email pgm.  

gmb

gmb

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 02:19:39 AM »
Culpeper

In previous correspondence to others.....you said AVAST  would work if using OE.  I can use OE but not AVAST.  Are you saying......"Give it up kid"?   I like the challenge but am running out of ambition on this issue.  The webmail was turned into POP mail with OE....therefore it should work with AVAST.  Your twist?

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 03:58:53 AM »
My bad!  Yes, OE should work with your Juno account.  Did you try the Avast email wizard again and set the option to allow all future accounts.  There is no reason for Avast to not set up your OE account correctly.  Go back and get OE to work normally without Avast than try the wizard again.

Liz

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 04:27:03 AM »
gmb

I cannot find a Juno support page with the instructions for configuring OE.  I'm sure it's there, since you say so.  Just checking, but I have the $9.95/month version on Juno.  There is a more expensive one, maybe there's a difference.  Or else why would I have been told twice by Juno, once quite recently, that they do not give our their server addresses, I'm wondering.

I followed your directions and configured OE.  Then I got the error message you got, I assume.  Here it is: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'POP.JUNO.COM', Server: 'SMPT.JUNO.COM', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I unchecked Avast from the start up menu on the system configuration utility and rebooted (so that Avast would not be running on my computer) and tried sending a mail through OE again, but got the same error message.

Don't know if these problems are related or not, but I have CallWave Internet Answer Machine, and it doesn't work with Avast running.  Either I can use Avast or I can use CallWave.  To use Callwave I have to take Avast off the start up menu, reboot, and then use Callwave.  It will not let me listen to the sound files containing my messages, says I don't have enough memory, although I do have plenty of memory (I even added 128 MB more memory).  This problem sounds a bit like the one with OE, either you can use one or the other.  But it seems I can't use either one.  Or else, I would have to uninstall Avast altogether to use OE????

This is complicated!  :P

Liz

gmb

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip........I'll try it.  I really do think it should work and I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet.  Hope you dont get tired of the correspondence.  I think its a great way to network problems and find solutions.

gmb

gmb

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 05:32:17 PM »
Liz..

Not as hard as were making it.  I'll try to put togethrt something for you to follow.  trust me, its woth the effort.  OE synchs well with work correspondence and the rest of the world who works off Microsoft Office (which is 99% of business's and other groups

My challenge continues.  Good support though.  Culpeper is a good source....I think she knows her stuff.  Kudos to you.