Author Topic: Newbie Ques re Chest  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Newbie Ques re Chest
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 08:38:53 PM »
And their tech support & forum & site are pretty worthless!
However, they don't seem to train their techs to be competent at removing their products.
Well... why don't you keep only avast  ;D

Along with the Windows Security Center fix for not recognizing the correct information under a section on Installation of Avast. 
But did you follow the instructions posted here?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
The best things in life are free.

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:51 PM »
Hi Spiritsong,
   The tool they are handing out without regard for which McAfee products or versions persons need to remove is designed to go with their newest mega suite. I had none of those programs (except SiteAdvisor) on my PC. I'd like to mention here a third party, Eset, makes McAfee & Symantec removal tools. Since Eset's Nod AV is a superior product to McAfee's or Norton's AVs, it stands to reason Eset's removal tools may be as well. Using them might be an option worth considering. 

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »
Tech,
   I think you must have misunderstood me. I wasn't questioning your fix. Quite the contrary!

I'd like to see a section on the forum entitled "Installation of Avast".
The importance of a clean install should be addressed & the topic of uninstalling the old AV would be covered.

I think the McAfee manual uninstall instructions & the Windows Security Center fix should be topics in this section. They should be stickied or pinned for reference.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »
Tech, I think you must have misunderstood me. I wasn't questioning your fix. Quite the contrary!
Yeah. I've misunderstood you.

I'd like to see a section on the forum entitled "Installation of Avast".
The importance of a clean install should be addressed & the topic of uninstalling the old AV would be covered.
It's good, but avast, while installing, try to detect incompatible software and warns the user, so, if the user reads the messages he/she will be warned of the possible conflict.

I think the McAfee manual uninstall instructions & the Windows Security Center fix should be topics in this section. They should be stickied or pinned for reference.
I hope McAfee made a better uninstaller of its own software...  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »
I had none of those programs (except SiteAdvisor) on my PC.

Second program on the list is Mcafee VirusScan, I'm sure you had that one! ;D

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

As posted by Spiritsongs, this removal tool is for 11 programs running on Win 2000-XP home and pro.

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:11 AM »
Old Man I did not! These are the programs for removal with your patch/MCPR.exe:

McAfee Security Center 7.0
McAfee VirusScan 11.0
McAfee Personal Firewall 8.0
McAfee Privacy Service 9.0
McAfee SpamKiller 8.0
McAfee Wireless Network Security 2.0
McAfee SiteAdvisor 1.6
McAfee Data Backup 1.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:35:50 AM by LaFemmeMichele »

LaFemmeMichele

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 04:45:06 AM »
Hello Everybody & Thank You for All the Support!

I would like to report the outcome of my "2 AV/FWs dilemma". One week & six separate Microsoft phone support conversations/sessions later (don't ask, ya don't want to know, trust me!), I found a tech who was patient enough to listen to the history of my case, diligent enough to take a look on the Avast forum, & agreeable enough to allow me to try "Tech's Windows Security Center Fix". Upon rebooting, it immediately reported, by name, the one AV/FWs running on my computer! TECH YOU ROCK! I hope you don't mind that I let Microsoft in on how to fix its program!  ;)