Author Topic: Problems with avast  (Read 6235 times)

trisha999

Problems with avast
« on: January 26, 2004, 01:21:08 PM »
I have recently been given a 3 year old laptop using windows 98 and Outlook Express for my emails,when my daughter upgraded.

I was advised to use AVAST for virus checking but soon after the download i lost all my email facility to both send and receive with the following error message:

"Your password was rejected. Account .......(my username) server 127.0.0.1; protocol pop3 server response ERR (AUTH) invalid user or password port 110, secure (SSL) ; No server error. 0x800ccc9c error No ox800ccc90 ".

Although i have very limitted computer experience i tried going through the troubleshooting guide at Tiscali and one of the recommendations was to change my email password.  Prior to changing the password  i managed to disable the email section on AVAST and thankfully my email fuctions were returned.

I would be grateful for any help as to what to do next
but would appreciate the information in easy to understand language as i am very new to computers.

Trisha

"

whocares

Re:Problems with avast
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »
Hi,

have you read the FAQ's here ?
and the program doku ?

techie101

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »
Trisha,
Lets see if I can help you with this little problem?

What version of Avast do you have....Home or Pro?
What build # of Avast?  (right click on the A ball, go to About, and copy the info next to Build.  Should be at least 4.1.335)
Windows98 and OE work fine with Avast so don't worry.
Do you use any type of Firewall?
Do you have ANY OTHER ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM INSTALLED?

"Your password was rejected. Account .......(my username) server 127.0.0.1; protocol pop3 server response ERR (AUTH) invalid user or password port 110, secure (SSL) ; No server error. 0x800ccc9c error No ox800ccc90 ".
In simple terms this means that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) server did not receive the proper password to release your account to your email client (Outlook Express), or did not recognize the one sent to it.
Avast must be set to do this.  Avast also resets one of the parameters of your computer to 127.0.0.1 so that all email goes to this "virtual" computer inside your own so Avast can scan them.

I think we need to start by running the Mail Protection Wizard.  Two ways to do this:  Go into Start/Programs/Avast and click on MPW or right click on the A ball in the tray at the bottom of the screen and click on the MPW there.  Follow the simple instructions page by page until you click Finish.

Try the email again.

NOW, in order for this all to work, you need to know the POP3 and SMTP settings for Tiscali.  Basically, your email is sent by what we refer to as SMTP rules and received in  POP3 transfer protocols (rules).  IF I remember correctly, Tiscali uses a few smaller companies with different names you need to contact them for the proper information and format.  The format might be something like trisha@tiscali.com, or might be trisha#mailhost@tiscali.com or even trisha#postoffice.tiscali.com     Whatever it is, Tiscali must tell you the format to use.

If configuring the MPW does not fix this, then we will need to modify a file within Avast called the ".ini"  This will require absolute care and you will need to follow directions to the letter.

Do one step at a time.  This can be corrected.

Prior to changing the password  i managed to disable the email section on AVAST and thankfully my email fuctions were returned
Yes, once we have the format issue resolved, this will take care of itself on reboot.

I would be grateful for any help as to what to do next
but would appreciate the information in easy to understand language as i am very new to computers.
I will try to do so.  Space requirements may cause me to send you specific instructions via the IM feature of this Forum. (You will see the Messages info at the top right of the forum screen after you sign on.  Click on Messages and it will take you to the IM screen.)  The IM feature can be used for any questions that you may have that you do not wish to invoke public debate or assistance.

We are all here to help you.  Ask whatever you need to and more importantly......tell us if you do not understand any instruction or term used.  Never be embarrassed.

techie101

The Avast Forum is an excellent place to loose the mind that you thought you had before coming here!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:31:14 PM by techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 05:56:30 PM »
Trisha,

Disregard this empty box....earlier message was duplicated

techie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 06:00:51 PM by techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 05:57:25 PM »
Trisha,

A last thought, the settings within Outlook Express must also be correct for Tiscali.
smtp.tiscali.com and pop3.tiscali.com are common settings with the server at 127.0.0.1  Tiscali will give these to you.

SMTP Port should be 25 and POP3 port at 110.
You don't need to know what this means, only check the settings when you see them.  You will find them when you open Outlook Express in Tools/InternetSettings/Accounts/Properties/Server tab

Ok?

techie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:57:56 PM by techie101 »

trisha999

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 10:59:40 PM »
Hi techie,
Many thanks for coming to my aid.for which I am extremely grateful.

I am using Avast 4 Home Addition Anti Virus Programme Version 4.1.319 with the email function disabled at the moment for obvious reasons.

Outgoing Mail Server is: smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Mail Server is: pop.tiscali.co.uk
FTP Server is: ftp.myweb.tiscali.co.uk
My SMPT Port is confirmed at 25 and POP3 port at 110
I can also confirm that the server settings are 127.0.0.1
I do not have any firewall installed but have Skybot S&D 1.2

I might add that all 3 of my email accounts were lost after installing Avast and to date I have only retrieved my main one through change of password. the other two remain unusable.

I ran the MPW as you suggested – In the Service Settings I tried “127.0.0.1 in the Default POP3 Server Box, which I believe you said should be inserted, tried the email function Send/Receive once again but still  locked out of the lost emails.

This is as far as I have gone at the moment but will try to modify file “. Ini” within Advast if you still believe this is the answer and any further instructions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again

Trisha

techie101

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 11:57:03 PM »
I am using Avast 4 Home Addition Anti Virus Programme Version 4.1.319
First, we need to get you updated to version 4.1.335 which corrected some bugs.  You can manually update the program using the A ball.  Right click....Updating....Program.

When you run the wizard, these settings should be entered:
SMTP Mail Server: smtp.tiscali.co.uk
POP3 Mail Server: pop.tiscali.co.uk

Set the Wizard to "Automatically protect ALL my accounts"

My SMPT Port is confirmed at 25 and POP3 port at 110
Very good.

I can also confirm that the server settings are 127.0.0.1
Avast should have automatically changed your server to 127.0.0.1

I do not have any firewall installed but have Skybot S&D 1.2
I use Spybot also.  It will not affect Avast or email.

I might add that all 3 of my email accounts were lost after installing Avast and to date I have only retrieved my main one through change of password. the other two remain unusable.
Please explain this to me in a bit more detail.  Use the IM feature of the forum for this question to conserve space.

I ran the MPW as you suggested – In the Service Settings I tried “127.0.0.1 in the Default POP3 Server Box,
No, in the POP3 box you should enter the address as provided by Tiscali:  I think you had pop.tiscali.co.uk??

....but will try to modify file “. Ini” within Advast
No, don't do that right now.  What you can do if send me a copy via IM of your .ini file settings.  I like to keep such things confidential.

Thanks again
techie
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 02:11:51 AM by techie101 »

John-

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 01:40:49 AM »
did you close outlook express before running the mail wizard function?
it its extremely recommended you should do this,...

techie101

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 02:13:44 AM »
SZ,

Good point.

techie