Author Topic: Avast! and exclusion  (Read 4297 times)

diablo2070

Avast! and exclusion
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:36:53 AM »
Hello,

I use Avast! and Trillian since a long time ago and I never had problem with them. I had a little "problem" in the past because my Trillian log files are really big for some persons I talk frequently with. Because of that my computer "freeze" with 100% cpu usage for a fraction of second each time one of these persons talk to me or when I write to him (because avast always scan the entire logs of a few MBs). What I've done is that I used the exclusion list in the "standard shield" and put the trillian folder so it was not scanning logs anymore. I formatted on my new computer and I reinstalled all the same things. Now, I can't get rid of Avast scanning my logs, it's verry annoying! even my music stop for about 1 second each time someone with big logs talk to me! I tried a lot of way to write the path in the exclude list (in both of them) but it still scan the logs. I don't want to erase these logs so don't tell me to delete my log regularly please  :P

I would appreciate a lot if someone could solve my problem!
thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! and exclusion
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 02:50:49 AM »
You need to identify what is being scanned and exclude that, if it is Standard Shield scanning your log or something else, enable the 'Show detailed info on performed actions' see image (same location 'Customize..., Advanced' as your exclusion path).

What is the exclusion that you have currently (that isn't working), so we can check it for correctness ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 03:11:32 AM »
I tried a lot of way to write the path in the exclude list (in both of them) but it still scan the logs.
Let's try the following.
Left click the 'a' blue icon and stop all the residents (the last option).
Open avast4.ini file and on the section [Common] and the value Exclude.
See: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10256#msg10256
Than save the file, close it, start avast again.
Will it work?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

diablo2070

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 03:34:23 AM »
I check in the avast4.ini file, and the paths that were there were those one I added so it should be ok.

D:\program files\Trillian\*
D:\program files\Trillian\*.*
D:\PROGRA~1\TRILLIAN\*

(I added more than one because it was not working, so I made a few different tries).

I checked the "show detailed info on performed action" case, but it shows nothing when scanning logs, only when I open a new software or file manually, but I know Avast scans the logs since the blue icon is moving when I receive or send a message.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:37:21 AM »
I checked the "show detailed info on performed action" case, but it shows nothing when scanning logs
But I know Avast scans the logs since the blue icon is moving when I receive or send a message.
Well, I won't be so sure... the ball could be spinning because a lot of other files being scanned, not the logs ones.
If you right click the 'a' blue icon, choose the buttom 'Details' to expand the panel.
Click the 'Standard Shield' provider at left and then see what is being scanned at right...
I won't be so sure that the logs are being scanned...

diablo2070

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »
It shows nothing .. the last scanned file is a file that I opened before, and no knew one appear but the "a" is moving.. and I tried to move the log file of someone I'm talking to (just for test, so trillian will make a new log file of a fews KBs) and it was not freezing anymore with the small log file.

I just notice something.. the place where you ask me to check.. it shows the number of scan that have been made since the restard of the standard shield, and it doesn't count when I talk to someone. the avast icon is moving, but the number doesn't change.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:46:21 AM by diablo2070 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
Well it doesn't look like the log files are being scanned by standard shield or anything else if your standard shield detailed view is to be believed, so it would appear the exclusion is working). When you are talking to someone then that activity if initiated by Trillian would be covered by the Instant Messaging provider (not standard shield), you should check the Instant Messaging provider details and see if that activity is recorded.

The avast icon rotating could be rotating due to any of the resident scanner activity as that doesn't just signify standard shield activity (as Tech mentioned).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

diablo2070

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:48:12 PM »
You were right.. I just checked again and it was the "instant messenger" shield.. I was sure I had not installed it.. but it seems I do. Plus, I was sure this shield was only file exchange and links and stuff like that on instant messaging, not things like that.

Thanks for helping me to solve my problem.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:32:24 AM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 03:13:02 AM »
Thanks for helping me to solve my problem.
You're welcome. Come back any time you need  8)